Strat single-coil pickup suggestions?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hey peeps,
So I'm in the process of re-finishing my old ibanez, and I figured while I have all the components out, I might as well upgrade the pickups while I'm at it. It's strat style -- 3 single coil slots (2 conductor), 5 way switch, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob.

Any suggestions for good single-coil pickups?

I already have a Seymour Duncan Hotrails humbucker for the bridge that was put in a while ago, but MIGHT replace it if I can find a better bridge pickup for metal/hard rock stuff. I think one or two of the coils on my current one is damaged so I might have to replace anyway.

Here are the other pickups I'm considering for either Neck, Middle or Bridge:

• Bare Knuckle - Trilogy Suite [LINK]
  • Bare Knucke - The Sinner [LINK]
  • DiMarzio - SDS-1 [NON DIRECT LINK]
  • DiMarzio - True Velvet (for mid or neck)
  • DiMarzio - FS-1
  • DiMarzio - Standard Tele - Twang King Neck DP172
  • Seymour Duncan - Cool Rails [LINK]
  • Seymour Duncan - Hot Rails (as a replacement for my other bridge hot rails) [LINK]
  • Seymour Duncan - Li'l Screamin' Demon [LINK]

Out of those, which ones have you guys heard and/or had experience with, and which ones are better for which position?

As of right now, I'm really leaning towards the Bare Knuckle "The Sinner" for the bridge, and their "Trilogy Suite" for mid and neck. What do you think?

Or are there any others you'd recommend? The ibanez is an s-series and doesn't have room for a battery pack, so actives are out of the question. I also have to stay away from 4 conductor I think? Everything in it is 2 conductor at the moment and not sure how 4 conductor would be wired up?

Thanks, in advance, for any help and suggestions! :dopey:

Last time I wired a 4 wire I'm pretty sure you could just solder two of the wires together? Could be wrong it was about 7 years ago so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Think it was a Duncan distortion?

Last time I wired a 4 wire I'm pretty sure you could just solder two of the wires together? Could be wrong it was about 7 years ago so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Think it was a Duncan distortion?

Cool thanks for the reply. yeah, that's the answer it seems I'm getting. So this definitely opens up some more options now for me as far as some nice 4-conductor DiMarzio p'ups like the Area 67, Injectors, Super Distortion S, etc.

Any single-coil p'up suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

(although I doubt I will get any considering this being a metal forum. :lol:)

Hot rails in the neck position as well? I was thinking of the Dimarzio Cruiser for the neck to pull of an Andy Timmons kind of vibe.