Pickup replacement for Ibanez Rg321Ex?

Cognition

Metal
Oct 25, 2009
Norway
Hello,

I am seeking to replace the stock pickups on my Ibanez. The reason is no matter what amp sim I try, I can't get the tone I want.

Guitar specs:
neck type 3pc Wizard II Maple neck
body Basswood body
fret Jumbo frets
bridge Fixed bridge
neck pu INF1 (H) neck pu
bridge pu INF2 (H) bridge pu

More: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html

Since I am on a budget, I was considering to replace only the bridge pickup. I've been looking into EMG-81, EMG-85 and Seymour Duncan Blackout. But basically I am clueless and looking for suggestions.

The sound I want: Modern Thrash/Groove Metal
(I want the sound Torniojaws has in this post: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/536505-new-amp-sim-le456-3.html#post8634864 )

Any suggestions would come much appreciated!

Hello,

I am seeking to replace the stock pickups on my Ibanez. The reason is no matter what amp sim I try, I can't get the tone I want.

Guitar specs:
neck type 3pc Wizard II Maple neck
body Basswood body
fret Jumbo frets
bridge Fixed bridge
neck pu INF1 (H) neck pu
bridge pu INF2 (H) bridge pu

More: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html

Since I am on a budget, I was considering to replace only the bridge pickup. I've been looking into EMG-81, EMG-85 and Seymour Duncan Blackout. But basically I am clueless and looking for suggestions.

The sound I want: Modern Thrash/Groove Metal
(I want the sound Torniojaws has in this post: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/536505-new-amp-sim-le456-3.html#post8634864 )

Any suggestions would come much appreciated!

I have this exact guitar and have it loaded with Blackouts right now but after hearing my band mate's 7321 that just got loaded with a Bare Knuckle Warpig in the bridge I think I'm gonna go that route. We tune down to drop B and that p/u is just thick and tight as hell. I've used EMG's for a long time and the Blackouts are great alternatives but to me they have a stronger midrange and are not as tight as the EMG 81 or the BK Warpig. I'm liking the Blackouts more and more for material that's in standard E, drop D, half step down, etc. The 321EX is a great guitar for the money though....I have a Prestige RG321 and I play the EX all the time.

I have this exact guitar and have it loaded with Blackouts right now but after hearing my band mate's 7321 that just got loaded with a Bare Knuckle Warpig in the bridge I think I'm gonna go that route. We tune down to drop B and that p/u is just thick and tight as hell. I've used EMG's for a long time and the Blackouts are great alternatives but to me they have a stronger midrange and are not as tight as the EMG 81 or the BK Warpig. I'm liking the Blackouts more and more for material that's in standard E, drop D, half step down, etc. The 321EX is a great guitar for the money though....I have a Prestige RG321 and I play the EX all the time.

Thanks a lot for your answers! I ended up going for the Blackouts. I play a lot in E and drop D.

Another question, though. Never having replaced pickups before, how difficult is this? I've got the impression it will be a somewhat more extensive process because the stock ones are passive. I'm guessing with a soldering iron and whatever comes in the Blackout box I'll figure it out easy enough, or should I get hold of a guitar tech?

Thanks for any answers!

A friend of mine asked me to get him some passive EMGs for his RG, i installed a set of H4/H4a pikcups in there, and he loves the tone, he's played a few other guitars since then, one being a higher end ibanez, but he still swears by this RG…

Some active EMGs would sound nice but he seems happy with passive

I like Blackouts in basswood, good choice man.
If you have no idea how to do it, take it to a guitar tech.
With a bit of patience, you can certainly figure out how to do it, but if you've never swapped pickups before, switching from passives to actives on your first time trying to switch pickups can possibly be more of a hassle than it's worth.
Ultimately, time is money, and if you spend the next 5 days trying to figure it out, it's time better spent paying some dude 50 or 60 bucks or whatever to get it done in an hour.