Ibanez Prestige Uppercut Series?!

CraigJohnsJr

MASSiVE- Guitarist
Feb 18, 2014
NY
www.facebook.com
I was checking out some of Ibanez's new guitars for 2014 and came across this beauty... The specs on this are as follows (from Ibanez site):

Wizard HP 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
Mahogany body
Ebony fretboard
Jumbo frets w/Prestige fret edge treatment
Tight-End bridge
Bare Knuckle Aftermath (H) neck pu (Passive/Ceramic)
Bare Knuckle Aftermath (H) bridge pu (Passive/Alnico)
Factory tuned a whole step down
Cosmo black hardware
Hardshell case included

Apparently they're only being released on a limited run. I knew it sounded too good to be true! What are your thoughts?
FR6UC_BKF_00_01.jpg

Maybe this is a thread-necro post, but I ordered one and it's being delivered today.

It is steep price-wise and not sure I won't regret it. I had my reasons for wanting it, however. Look forward to it though.

I already own a hard tail prestige (RG1451) which I quite like so I was always going to appreciate the FR6UC, given it has very similar features.

At any rate, after playing it for 2 hours last night, I will keep it -- knowing that this guitar makes more sense in the $1300-$1600 USD range. I'm a big fan of the low-profile tight-end bridge, BKP and the Wizard necks.

As far as the guitar itself, the fit and finish are excellent, the case is outstanding (better be), the factory setup is decent in terms of how the nut was grooved (groove height, smoothness - no snags in tuning although I used some lubricant in the grooves). Pickup height, saddle height were low to me but I used 11-54 and not the 10s they used from the factory.

I've used Warpigs and Nailbombs and getting used to the Aftermaths pickups, not that they sound bad.

There's a definite heft to the guitar, guess that's the single cutaway thing.

One minor thing is that while I don't use those frets much, a bit more cutaway around the 21st-22nd fret would improve it.

Anyone interested in this could rightly try and wait for the price to drop. If you're into hardtails like me you could look at the new hipshot-bridged Schecters as an alternative.