Pickups recommendation

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
Hey guys! I want to put some new pickups in my ibanez. Seymour duncan pickups it´s my choice but I dont know what model to buy. I like the tightness and the mids of the EMG 81/85 but I want also a smooth tone for lead stuff. What do you think of Seymour duncan pack that comes with SH-2N jazz humbucker (neck) and SH-4 JB (bridge)? I also heard good things about Seymour Duncan SH-15 Alternative 8. Btw it´s for metal stuff.

maybe you want to watch Ola's comparison to get somewhat of an idea what you want to try out

tried a guitar with invaders once, was pretty nice and will possibly be my next choice of pickups

Last edited by a moderator:
I tracked a guitar with Invaders recently. It seemed alright, though they're a bit on the muddy/flat side. They kinda bore me a bit, though aren't outright offensive or anything. Blackouts are awful - keep away from them at all costs. The SH-6 has really impressed me on Ola's videos... I think on that shoot out above it's clearly the best pickup for metal, with the full shred taking the crown for more rock-esque music.

The JB has been a consistent performer for me over the years. I've had more usable guitar tones from the JB than any other pickup I've ever used. It's kinda the 'vanilla' of pickup choices. Not always the easiest to work with, but will almost always lead you to results which are usable.

In the alder body/ebony fretboard/maple neck ESP Horizon of my bands other guitarplayer the JB also sounds really nice for leads.
Like it a lot more for lead then EMG81 and 81-TW on my 2 main axes.

Thanks for your opinions guys. The duncan distortion sh-6 it´s the one who sounds better to my ears. Alternative 8 sounds really weird from the video, not bad for palm mute but not good for power chords. I have to take a look at SH-5 Custom, Marcus.

That Schecter had a Custom Custom...did not like it at all. I hear good things about the Custom and Custom 5, though I don't have any hands on experience with either of them. Can't go wrong with the JB but I'd recommend the Distortion if you're going for a more "metal" guitar. A bit more compression and sharper attack. Both sound really good. And I'd opt for the 59 in the neck instead of the Jazz

I briefly had a guitar with a Custom 5 in it - sounded very rich, dynamic, and full, but also significantly lower output than most other pickups I've tried, active or passive; even boosting the gain on the amp didn't quite bring it into metal territory IMO, but I can imagine it absolutely singing for chords and such