Dimarzio Super Distortion? the sound for me?

XxSicRokerxX

Gabriel R.
Nov 25, 2010
Orange County, CA
Theres a guy in los angeles selling his:

Super Distortion
Super 3

humbacker pickups for 100$.

I'm interested, I used to want the Dimarzio Super Distortion sound when i heard the black dahlia murders ex guitarist john used an ESP Custom M-II with super distortion bridge pickups (i was a huge unhallowed, miasma, nocturnal fan)

Right now I'm rocking the pickups that came with my JACKSON DK2M
# Seymour Duncan JB TB4 bridge humbuckers
# Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2N neck humbucker

What do you guys think, would this be an upgrade? Or should i save money and buy the emg 81 emg 85 zack wylde set (which ive had my eye on for a while)

These are my current musical tastes:

Death Metal- Necrophagist
Melodic DM- TBDM, Arch Enemy [wages of sin (not my fav A.E. production but great album)]
Thrash- Darkest Hour (anything before or equal to undoing ruin)
Alternative Metal- Deftones ***( what i listen to the most)
Misc. Metal- Zao (funeral of God)
Alternative Rock- Staind
Nu- Slipknot (Iowa)/Korn (self titled)
Mainstream Rock- Three days grace/Papa roach

so should I:
A: Buy the Super distortion PU
B: Save and buy emg 81/85
C: Screw all of that, learn to play better and tighter any pickups will do
D: Buy a youROCKguitar (those things look fun lol)

Kind of a weird selection of tastes to fit the Super D. Its a great pickup though, and worth a shot regardless I think. I find that the Super D is overwhelmingly crunchy. I'd say thats the boldest characteristic of it. Terrifically crunchy.

Testament's "Formation of Damnation" is predominantly Super D in an ML through the 5150 III (though after that Eric switched to EMGs), which is a tone most people on here probably enjoy. Personally I got it more for its Priest/Maiden/Motorhead/early Slayer history. Of all those I tend to get early Slayer tones out of it the easiest.

I had a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position of my Ibanez before I switched it out for EMG's.

The Super D is a cool pickup. It's HUGE-sounding. It's got TONS of bass and low-mid content, but it's not too dark in the high-end either. I like to think of it this way: Kinda, sorta, loosely like an EMG 85 in the sense that it is a big, fat, saturated-sounding, hot pickup. The SD, however, is not as stuffy, it's a bit bolder, not as smooth in the highs, and with even bigger lows.

Your TB4 is one of the best metal pickups out there! Ask Dave Mustaine or Marty Friedman.
Man, I own that pickup, the SH4 version not the one for tremolo. But is the same. It is awsome.

sounds like u need to invest in a versatile amp option, AxeFx would be perfect.. so u can eq each preset to suit the music rather than changing ur pickups.

all of these people are referring to the super distortion.

Super 3's are entirely different animals & the only pickup i will use. I yu e to drop c or lower with heavy gauge strings (.60 in c .80 in ab my typical tuning)

The super 3 has less low & high end than a super distortion giving it a much tighte feel while retaining the balls of a super distortion. It has a mid boost & can require a slightly different eq. But the main difference is they are HOT. One of the hottest passive pickups out super 3's are 24.5k. They will push the piss outta your amp & can really make an amp scream its why i love them. They clean up decent when you roll off the volume as well. IMO the best pickup out.

Ive tried super distortion, super 2, jb's, blackouts, emg's, you name it & i always go back to super 3's try them out its a sleeper pickup for sure no one knows about them.

Is it just me or does the Super dist get a bit fizzy from all that crunch?
How's the low end definition compared to the JB?
I wouldn't call the Super D fizzy at all, personally.

I'm personally not a fan of the JB myself. The Super Distortion is a completely different pickup when it comes to low-end. The Super D's got TONS more low-end and low-mids, and it is also a more compressed and saturated-sounding from the higher output.

The Super D's a nice-sounding pickup... just not all that Sneap-Forum-approved-EMG-81-ish. Not to say the EMG 81 is bad either, tho. I mean, after all, I ended up with an EMG 81TW in the guitar that I had a Super Distortion in, originally. :p

If you lived closer to me I'd give you my old DiMarzio SD, had it sitting in a closet for years. Got a PAF Pro collecting dust too.

I don't know, I had that phase of "change everything on my guitar" thinking it would sound different...and it always sounded like me playing, what a surprise uh?
So, considering you already have a killer set of pickups that are REALLY versatile, I would focus on getting the tones on the amplifier and playing rather than blaming it on the pickups.

If you lived closer to me I'd give you my old DiMarzio SD, had it sitting in a closet for years. Got a PAF Pro collecting dust too.

If its Floyd spaced and black, 4 conductor and has lead wire left I'd buy it off you for a reasonable price ;)

This is what I see every time I read 'Super Distortion'

lafb441r94i64b1l.jpg

You know you arent the only one thats said that. What exactly is a 250k volume pot? What do you suppose i have in right now (its stock) and how would it differ?

Stock is usually a 500K for humbucker guitars (the volume pot is the knob you twist for volume ;) ) I've read somewhere that the JB was initially designed as a pickup in strat type guitars and hence it works better with 250K pots (standard for singlecoils).

Unknowing if its true or not I tried it myself in one of my les pauls and I way prefer it with 250K, less harsh, more power!