Has anybody done/heard comparison clips of the EMG 81 and DiMarzio D-Activator?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
I'm kinda curious about the DiMarzios...

I've heard plenty of comparison clips of the Seymour Duncan Blackout Bridge and the EMG 81, but never against the DiMarzio D-Activator Bridge. Have any of you heard or recorded any?

A buddy of mine has guitars with each in it and loves them both so maybe that's something... I personally have one with a set of EMGs 81/85 and I like it over my duncan hotrodded bullshit guitar.

Im currently working on a recording where both pickups in question have been used.
My findings are that the d-activator is quite a bit darker sounding than the emg. I might be able to post some clips in the next few days if you really want to hear, but the pickups are in pretty different guitars ( an sg and an iceman) and i havent reamped yet so the tones would be crappy pod farm-isms. I dont know if it would be a usefull comparison for your purposes.
I think the activators are totally useable, I actually like how they respond to my playing definately less smear than the jb but not as stiff as the 81. Its kind of its own thing. I imagine that even in the same guitar the actual tone would be quite different.

The dactivator doesn't sound ANYTHING like an active pickup, the name is totally misleading.
Doesn't have the tight output or the bite of an emg at all.
I found it an ok pickup, there are muh better and tighter pickups out there though

I had an ESP with EMG 81's in it. And I currently have an Ibanez RG927QM with a D'Activator in the bridge and a Liquifier in the neck. Needless to say that I prefer the D'Activator to the EMG 81 by a longshot. But in the end, it all boils down to personal preference. But the D'Activator is very tight and very bright. One of the best passive pickups for tight metal rhythm playing. I actually prefer Evolutions (have them in many of my other guitars), but for very aggressive, tight metal rhythm playing, it's the better option.

Here's a clip of the same guitar and D'Activator pickup...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS3QBJElI64&feature=plcp[/ame]

I had a buddy who had a deactivator in his guitar and it sounded like total shit. I'm surpised any of you are able to get a semi-decent sound out of that pickup. I prefer Duncans and EMGs over Dimarzios anyday. Just my 2 cents