Please help with pickups! Dimarzio D-Activators vs EMG 81

hkollner

Oct 5, 2008
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there with EMG 81 and DiMarzio D-Activator pickups? can you please make a ten second tone test with the Dimarzio and one with the EMG 81 with exact same amp settings on both runs, so that i can hear the tonal difference. I Want to buy a EMG 81 for the bridge and currently have The Dimarzio pickups! I was wondering if it will give me a better tone for metal? its more modern tone like Bloodbath (The Fathomless mastery) and The faceless and Black dahlia that im after!

Or any comments is welcome, like what do you prefer!:headbang:
thanx

All three of the bands listed use the 81 AFAIK if thats any help. Have heard mixed reviews about the D-Activators, but most people going for the active sound seem to prefer the 81.

All three of the bands listed use the 81 AFAIK if thats any help. Have heard mixed reviews about the D-Activators, but most people going for the active sound seem to prefer the 81.

What do you mean mixed reviews? bad ones?

Some say that they sound like dimarzios with the sterility and lack of dynamics of actives, others think they're very close to EMGs. Can't remember many/any that say they're better though.

I just recently took a Dimarzio D Activator out of one of my guitars. I initially liked it until I A/Bed clean reamp tracks of recordings I made before I removed each respective pickup to compare the tone in rapid succession. I've had an EMG81, a Duncan JB, a Duncan Distortion, and a D Activator in this particular guitar. The D Activator the only pickup that I did not like at all. It's got a strangely weak output in comparison to the aforementioned pups and the most unpleasant quality about it is its ice pick treble response. It sounded horrible through my POD/Gearbox setup, straight up horrible by way of comparison with the others. The EMG was too thin for my tastes and the JB a bit flubby. The Duncan Distortion seems to suite my playing style the best. Its got a quick response but has rich overtones as well. I've got a Dimarzio Super Distortion in another one of my guitars and that pickup is a true gem as well. Highly recommended. I still have the D Activator if you want to purchase it from me despite my negative review of it, but I would definitely go for the EMG 81.

I just recently took a Dimarzio D Activator out of one of my guitars. I initially liked it until I A/Bed clean reamp tracks of recordings I made before I removed each respective pickup to compare the tone in rapid succession. I've had an EMG81, a Duncan JB, a Duncan Distortion, and a D Activator in this particular guitar. The D Activator the only pickup that I did not like at all. It's got a strangely weak output in comparison to the aforementioned pups and the most unpleasant quality about it is its ice pick treble response. It sounded horrible through my POD/Gearbox setup, straight up horrible by way of comparison with the others. The EMG was too thin for my tastes and the JB a bit flubby. The Duncan Distortion seems to suite my playing style the best. Its got a quick response but has rich overtones as well. I've got a Dimarzio Super Distortion in another one of my guitars and that pickup is a true gem as well. Highly recommended. I still have the D Activator if you want to purchase it from me despite my negative review of it, but I would definitely go for the EMG 81.

Haha i currently have dimarzio d-activators in my guitar but ordered a emg 81 for the bridge! i just want to hear an A/B comparison of the 2! seeing that you have both pickups! can you maybe make a 10 second DI clip of each playing the same riff, preferably a nice fat metal riff!

if you do manage to do that my email is hkollner@gmail.com
It would be much appreciated:worship: