EMG 60 or 60-7 neck pickup solo tone? Sound clips?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Alright, so after switching to the EMG 81-7 in the bridge of my guitar, I don't think the 707 in the neck matches well enough. I'm starting to think I might want to just put an 81-7 in both bridge and neck, but I'm a little curious about the EMG 60-7 for the neck.

I'm sure the 60-7 would sound better for cleans, which I do care about... I like bright, chimey cleans..... BUT I'm unsure of how it would sound for high gain lead playing (tapping/sweeping/etc.) on the neck pickup. Does it have enough output to match the 81-7 in the bridge? Does it match well tonally with the 81-7?

Does anybody have any sound clips they could show me? Preferably with 5150 or 5150 III, but I'd like to hear anything you've got to help me decide.

I have the 81-7 & 60-7 combo in my LTD M-307 (mahogany) and I fuckin love it.

Here's a demo I made of the 60-7, with some cleans then some distorted tones:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/60-7.mp3

I love it's single-coily twang!

Thanks. Sounds very bright in a good way.

After poking around a little I saw that the I Am Abomination album by Sturgis used the 81 bridge/60 neck combo. The neck pickup leads on that sound pretty good also, but it's POD so I dunno how much that really tells me about how it sounds...

Anybody else have any more clips or know of any albums I can listen to to hear the 60 or 60-7 in the neck?

2:31 when Jim's solo starts. He uses an 85/60 combo, and that solo is definitely played on the 60, at least the last half with the legato run (2:38), you can just tell.

Last edited by a moderator: