EMG 81 Pickup doubts

s2c

Oct 6, 2007
Madeira - Portugal
www.myspace.com
Hey, I'm thinking about getting a EMG 81 for my Gibson Les Paul Gothic but I'd like to know if there is any problem to keep the neck passive pickup. Being the EMG 81 active, do I need to change neck pickup too?

Thanks and any advice regarding this pickup change is more than welcome ;)

Cheers

Unless you want to get creative with the wiring, you've gotta replace the neck pickup with an active as well.

You can wire the EMG up with the EMG jack/battery harness but the passive pots, and the volume knob will work more like an on/off switch instead of a gradual volume adjustment.

You can also buy an EMG PA-2 and wire it to just the passive pickup, leave it on at all times, and use the standard EMG wiring.

I've used both methods with good results, but I much prefer to put an actual EMG pickup in the neck spot, and now that the 81TW is out, you can finally get a single coil and humbucker tone out of the neck position.

I don't like the 85 in the neck, especially in a guitar like an LP. It'll be complete mud!

A BIG +1 to that - I love the 81 in the neck of my ESP Eclipse (Les Paul type), though I've heard great things about the 60 in the neck also.

And s2c, for clarification, the 89 is an 85 with all of the features of an 81TW.

Okay...

LPs have separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. You don't have to worry about sharing knobs because... you don't have to share knobs! Wow!

Not that I'd recommend keeping a Gibson stock pickup, but...

Jeff

I have a gibson LP with an 85 in neck position and an 81 in bridge position, and I actually like the 85. It's got an much more warm sound compared to the 81 which and is good when you want a clean sound. I also like it for some rock stuff. But if you only play metal i guess the 85 is'nt that good, because I too find it muddy compared to the 81. I find that the 85 in the neck position and the 81 in the bridge position is a good combination for me.

I used an EMG 81 and a passive humbucker together in a guitar using a 500k pot, a Les Paul-style 3 way and an EMG-style jack. I didn't have any noise or phase/tone issues. In fact it was one of the best sounding pickup combinations I've heard in a while. Certainly beat the JB/Jazz combo Schecter pimps so much.

I don´t have the possibility to hear or experiment any guitar with EMG's cus there is no f****g instrument stores in this island selling pickups so do you think that changing the original Gibson pickups for EMG is a good choice?

Thanks

I'm gonna buy the 81 for the bridge and maybe the 60 for the neck but I'd like to know first if there is other acessories parts that I need to buy for changing the pickups or it's only take the oldies and put the new ones? Is there any hard procedure or is it simple to change?

Thanks

I consider it pretty hard, honestly - EMG's come with everything you need (pickups, wires, and new pots), and you can use your original switch and output jack, but guitar wiring COMPLETELY mystifies me, and I find wiring diagrams kinda hard to follow. Plus, there's more wires as a result of the battery.

I'm surprised that there's so much EMG love. I remember a while back there was a thread where everyone and their mother bashed EMGs. (By the way, I love 'em. My ESP standard that's on the way has an 81/60 combo but my current slut has the 81/85.)

I consider it pretty hard, honestly - EMG's come with everything you need (pickups, wires, and new pots), and you can use your original switch and output jack, but guitar wiring COMPLETELY mystifies me, and I find wiring diagrams kinda hard to follow. Plus, there's more wires as a result of the battery.

Output Jack needs to be changed also to a TRS type so when you insert your Lead the Sleeve bridges the ground (-ve) connection in the battery part of the circuit which then powers the EMG's internal preamp. Removing the Lead breaks the supply so the EMG's preamp doesn't flatten the battery(Output Jack is also supplied as part of the Kit). I have installed a single 81 in one of my guitars (disconnecting the passive neck pickup) and an 81/85 pair in another. It is not altogether difficult if you have basic soldering skills. If you have 2 Vol and 2 Tone pots then it is quite simple. If 2 Vol and 1 tone then you have to alter the circuit accordingly.

I was over EMG 81s as soon as I tried the 85 a few years ago - I prefer the 85 anywhere. It isn't muddy for me in the guitars I own. My ESP LTD F-2005 sounds amazing with dual 85s, and it's solid mahogany!

I do have 2 Vol and 2 Tones, I don't understand when you say " Output Jack needs to be changed also to a TRS type so when you insert your Lead the Sleeve bridges the ground (-ve) connection in the battery part of the circuit which then powers the EMG's internal preamp" this output jack comes with the pickups? Shit, this gonna be hard hehe

Cheers

It just means that the output jack needs to be a stereo (TRS) jack - it's included. This is what makes it possible for the EMGs to be turned off when there is no cable in the jack.

Jeff

The Wylde set doesn't have the boost like the King set. You may want the Wylde set though since I think the pots it comes with have longer shafts for the thicker Gibson body. I think, check it out.