Need a Wiring Diagram for 1 active + 1 passive pup + 2 tone + 2 volume + 3 way toggle

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
Title says it all...I searched google a bit and could not find what I want. Anyone know where I can look for this diagram?

I'm trying to put an active EMG 85 into the bridge of my Les Paul but keeping the passive pickup on the neck. Thanks for any help!

damn I need almost the same thing as you minus one tone knob. I want to install the new emg 81tw pickup in my bridge and leave my seymour duncan 59 in the neck. Both will be coil tapped. Doesn't the pickup come with a manual that has that diagram?

Lent me know how it goes. I'm gonna be installing an emg soon with a passive in the neck. What soldering iron are you using and what solder? any tips and tricks?

Lent me know how it goes. I'm gonna be installing an emg soon with a passive in the neck. What soldering iron are you using and what solder? any tips and tricks?

Ya I will let you know. Send me a PM if I forget.

The one thing he made note of is that you should use 25k pots with the EMG and 250k pots for your passive if you are like me and not sharing pots.

Otherwise, if you are sharing a single pot, you should use the 250k pot, according to the EMG dude.

I've used EMG's and passives together for a long time. I wire all my own guitars. One of the main things people will caution you about is grounding. On passives you're supposed to ground them to the bridge/strings or 'you'll get radio interference and shocked' etc. I've never had a problem with either. I only have a 3-way toggle and a Vol knob. Aside from not grounding to the bridge/strings it's pretty much the same as wiring up 2 passives. Obviously passives have a few extra wires but that stuff should all be explained in the wiring guide that should have come with the passive PU.

I would wire each PU to the vol/tone set and the outs of each of those to the 2 ins on the 3 way, then it's just out to the jack.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional electronics tech nor do I have a degree in any field related to electronics but all my stuff has worked well. I've used EMG HB's and Passive SC/HB's together for 10+ years. I usually have the EMG in the bridge and a good passive in the neck.

Ya so I did the install and it sounds great. I did not ground the toggle but it seems ok for now. As far as the soldering iron/solder, I mean, it's pretty easy stuff because you've got a lot of space to work with so I think damn near any iron/solder size would work. If you're uncomfortable, just buy one big one and one small one of each, not like it's expensive!

they dont have a diagram for guitars with two volumes and one tone with a 3 way toggle. How do I get one? also, the pickup comes with two pots, one is a push pull and the other is not. Do I need to use both of them or just one? My neck pickup is already coil tappable along with the original bridge pickups via the tone knob which is a push pull.