EMG 81-7 clips or albums? Thinking about swapping out 707

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Does anybody here have some recordings they've done with an 81-7?

I've been using 707s for a while and I like the lead sound of the 707, but lately have been thinking it's maybe a little muddy sounding for rhythm. I've already decided on putting a 707TW in the neck (mainly for the single coil sound for cleans), and now I'm thinking about swapping the 707 in the bridge out for an 81-7.

Just wanted to know if anybody here has any clips or knows of any albums where the 81-7 was used. I know of a lot of albums that use the 81, but can't think of any that use the 7 string version of it.

Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra
Strapping Young Lad - The New Black

TBH, I remember watching videos of Steve Smyth tracking gtrs for the new Nevermore - this could've just been scratch tracks, but his Ignitor that he was playing at the time most definitely has an 81-7 in the bridge.

Is it very similar to the normal 81? Or is it brighter? For example, the 707 is brighter than the 85... is there a a similar difference between the 81-7 and 81? I like the sound of the 81, but I'm not sure if I could deal with much brighter than it.

If anything it's the same as the 81 I would say. If anything, that is. All I know is it sounded a fuckload better to me in my last HellRaiser C7 when I switched it out with the 707 that was in the bridge.