Thinking about changing the bridge pickup on my Ibanez... thoughts, please?

OK... so I bought these today. :D

Gonna give a try installing them tomorrow.

DSC00406.jpg

Thanks a lot for the help, dudes!

Thanks... unfortunately, my soldering iron just crapped out on me. Will have to wait until I get a new one.

BTW, just a quick question! Is the 81 supposed to be the same pickup design as the 85, except with a different magnet material? Sorta like the 60 and the 60A or the Duncan Custom, Custom Custom and Custom 5?

I say either the Seymour Duncan JB, Bareknuckle Holy Diver, Dimarzio Crunchlab, or the EMG 85. Those are my personal favs myself.

Thanks... unfortunately, my soldering iron just crapped out on me. Will have to wait until I get a new one.

BTW, just a quick question! Is the 81 supposed to be the same pickup design as the 85, except with a different magnet material? Sorta like the 60 and the 60A or the Duncan Custom, Custom Custom and Custom 5?

IIRC it is.

Nah, pretty certain it's not, IMO there's a lot more different there tonality-wise than would be affected simply by material of the magnet! (the 85 is noticeably thicker and less clear sounding - I dunno, maybe it is just the difference in magnet, cuz that could also account for the higher output of the 85 according to EMG's website)

I say either the Seymour Duncan JB, Bareknuckle Holy Diver, Dimarzio Crunchlab, or the EMG 85. Those are my personal favs myself.
Thanks! Got the EMG's already. :D

IIRC it is.
Nah, pretty certain it's not, IMO there's a lot more different there tonality-wise than would be affected simply by material of the magnet! (the 85 is noticeably thicker and less clear sounding - I dunno, maybe it is just the difference in magnet, cuz that could also account for the higher output of the 85 according to EMG's website)
Isn't the 85 hotter? I've always thought Ceramic magnets in pickups yield to a higher output.

But then again, the 81 is Ceramic/Steel, right? At leats, it says so on the installation instruction sheet on the ZW set.

Yup, the 85 is hotter, which is what I said ;) (but it's Alnico, while the 81 is indeed Ceramic/Steel, according to this) And I'm not certain if ceramic is necessarily hotter than Alnico, though it is more compressed...

I guess you're right then. :erk:

I think I recall reading about them being the same except for the magnets but I just can't find any evidence of this now.

Oh, yeah. Sorry, misread your post, Marcus.

Ah well... got both, no harm in trying them both in the bridge. :D

I wish they would've had the solderless ones. My soldering iron crapping out and the solderFULL joints are not helping my curiosity to see which one is better for me, 81 or 85. I also had to e-mail EMG to see if I could wire them to my existing 3-way. It's sorta like one of the Petrucci ones that split the coils in the middle position. Of course, I know you can't split the EMG's, but maybe it works with them too. If not, I'll have to yank the 3-way off my Epiphone as a temporary solution.

thanks, but I don't think that would work for me. I have a 3-way toggle, only a different type than the usual Gibson. It actually looks like a Gibson-ish normal 3-way toggle, except it looks like this on the inside of the guitar:

DSC00124.jpg

It kinda ticks me off... they would include a thousand fucking pots on the set, but no toggle.

That could be an option too if I could find one. It's gonna be a bit difficult, I guess. I actually had to go to another city to get the EMG's. The ever-so-popular 81/85 combo couldn't be found where I live, hahaha.

Psshh, I order everything online dude, I'm surprised there's anyone under the age of 30 who doesn't! :D