Passive neck pickups similar to EMG 81

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I'm narrowing down my passive bridge pickup choices, but what about neck? I've currently got a Duncan '59 in the neck of my Schecter (came with it), and I'm not crazy about it; too muffled and middy sounding (I guess that's the P.A.F. tone), I want something with more cut, without getting "dirty" sounding like so many high-output passives (Duncan Distortion, Dimebucker, Dimarzio X2N); any suggestions? How's the SH-2 Jazz?

59 is totally muffled and muddy in the neck, I agree. The Jazz has a tighter low end and more glassy top end, but it's still relatively low output and tame so it might not fully be your thing. Something like a Screamin' Demon or Full Shred bridge would probably work well, but I'd steer clear of anything Ceramic. Ceramic in passives just sounds harsh and brittle to my ears.

JB is also surprisingly cool in the neck, as are the Custom/C5. Avoid the FS neck, it's just a Jazz with allen pole pieces. It's a thinner, weaker version of the pickup.

You should check out the Dimarzio Liquifire. I have those in all of my guitars and love them. They are pretty balanced sounding all around.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I mention the EMG 81 because it's without a doubt my favorite neck pickup (cuts so well on those fast-picked high string runs), but I'm flexible; seems like I've got some investigating to do!

I really want to give that 59/custom hybrid they just came out with a shot. Could be glorious.

I dunno, considering I don't like the two pickups it's a hybrid of, I'm not sure how much I'd like a combo of them :lol:

I'd say Full Shred on the Duncan side or D-activator on the Dimarzio side of the house. Both of those pickups are fairly bright and articulate pickups that will cut through very well. I have more experience with the D-Activator but the Full Shred was cool when I've had the chance to check it out.

I will put out the disclaimer here: the EMG 81 is it's own beast in the neck position, nothing else will really match it. The D-activator will come close but it will have more mids while still being extremely articulate and "cutting" but not harsh. Hope that helps and EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE OF PASSIVES. :devil:

I had the D-activator X F-spaced in my Alexi and I didn't really dig it, it was a bit too low-mid heavy. Not sure how it compares to a regular D-activator, although if the graphs on the Dimarzio site are accurate, it would fix the problem I had with the X-series.

The other guitarist in my band uses a Dimarzio D-sonic (flipped backwards) and it is one of the nicer aggressive passives I've heard. If I were a passive pickup guy, I'd seriously consider it.

The Duncan Invader is also a nice choice.

EDIT: 4 spellingz

D-Activators are nice. If you want to spend some cash you could drop a set of BKs in there, I haven't heard a pair that I didn't like.

I am thinking about getting 2 Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 SH-15 (in the bridge and neck). I think bridge pickups in the neck sound stronger and have more sustain. (And I use the neck pickup for soloing probably 80% of the time).

What makes you like the EMG 81 so much? The fact that they don't make a lot of noise? Their EQ?