active -> passive pickups

xFkx

gain induction
Mar 3, 2008
Poland
www.myspace.com
Hey

Lately i've been thinking of ditching the emg 81/60 combination in my ltd ec-1000 for a duncan sh-5 and maybe a p-90 style pickup for the neck. Anyway, have any of you guys done it ? How much of the insides of the guitar must you rip out ?

Hey

Lately i've been thinking of ditching the emg 81/60 combination in my ltd ec-1000 for a duncan sh-5 and maybe a p-90 style pickup for the neck. Anyway, have any of you guys done it ? How much of the insides of the guitar must you rip out ?
Everything except for the selector switch

you should also realize that there's no ground wire in that guitar, and it's not drilled to have one...as that guitar didn't need one being that it came with active pickups

yeah it can be worked around, you just need to get creative. Some guitars with active pickups actually have ground wires anyway. I know my Eclipse did.

Or just buy one of the EC-1000s with Duncans in it :)

I actually have been toying with the idea of getting the burst model with the Duncans to compliment my black one with 81/85. I really love the EC1k.

~006

you should also realize that there's no ground wire in that guitar, and it's not drilled to have one...as that guitar didn't need one being that it came with active pickups

This probably isn't true. Every single guitar I've purchased that came stock with EMG's (Schecter, LTD, ESP, Jackson) has had a ground-wire in it, just not hooked up.

This probably isn't true. Every single guitar I've purchased that came stock with EMG's (Schecter, LTD, ESP, Jackson) has had a ground-wire in it, just not hooked up.

I suspect that's true also though I've not owned any guitars that came with EMG's. I will say this, I switched from EMG's to DiMarzio last summer and it's been one of the best things I've ever done. I had used EMG's since 1988 too so I <know> them. I was reluctant to make the change but I lost nothing and gained quite a bit.

Just my opinion on the matter.

I suspect that's true also though I've not owned any guitars that came with EMG's. I will say this, I switched from EMG's to DiMarzio last summer and it's been one of the best things I've ever done. I had used EMG's since 1988 too so I <know> them. I was reluctant to make the change but I lost nothing and gained quite a bit.

Just my opinion on the matter.

How so dude? How would you describe the change, and which Dimarzios did you switch to?

I went from an 85/SA set to a DiMarzio Evolution and a Tone Zone. The harmonics, note definition, and dynamics were pretty dramatically increased. Going from all-out gain to semi-clean with the volume knob doesn't just sound like all-out gain but quieter. Fast single note stuff is real tight and the higher notes almost seem to sing. One of the things I loved about the EMG's was how they didn't hardly get feedback at all but at the same time, when I held out a note it just got quieter until the sustain ran out and then turned into super feedback. With the DiMarzios I have now the note morphs from the note to a harmonic feedback that has a very cool and complex tone to it. It could be actually pass as sustain to an uneducated audience I think. Another thing I noticed right away with the Evolution was that I got artificial harmonics a lot when I wasn't even trying to.

I recently borrowed a early 80's Warlock with an 85/89 set in it and having that an my guitar to A/B I can also tell you that coil tapping on the EMG's isn't near as good. I had to toy with it and play certain type of riffs just to try and figure out if the coil tap switch was working. With the DiMarzios, it was extremely obvious and the single coil tone was way more 'strat' like than the EMG 89 coil-tapped or the EMG S/SA pickups I have. Something else I found was that with the DiMarzios, pickup height makes a huge difference! I always had my EMG's as close to the strings as they could get without hitting. When you drop them down a little you lose a little output and maybe some lows or highs depending on which end you lower/raise. With the Evolution, when I first installed it it was very bassy. I was actually afraid my reluctance to switch had been justified. Then I remembered the reason why pickups have those adjustable screws. I lowered the low E side and the bass got tighter and tighter. Now it's right where I like it and it only takes like 2 turns of that screw to make a pretty notable difference.

I still think for high-gain metal EMG's are the best to use live. Maybe the blackouts are in the same class, I've not tried them though. In the studio though, I wouldn't use EMG's. I think it's just the nature of the EMG design that they're more consistently high output and somewhat compressed. If you think about it almost none of the 'best guitar players' use EMG's. I think there's a reason for that. If there is a downside to passive pickups it would be lower output which you can counter with a Boost and feedback which you can control if you just know what the heck you're doing.

FWIW - My unusual combo of the 85 and SA was picked over years of experimenting with an 85, 81, S and SA in every combination in several guitars. My first guitar, a Hondo Explorer to early 90s RG 550, early 90s Jackson Kelly Pro, early 90s Fender Heartfield Talon 3, late 80s Charvel 275, ESP MII Custom, mid 80's Gibson Explorer and a few others I can't recall.

As I've said before, IMO the 85 seems to do better in mahogany/LP guitars and the 81 seems to fit Basswood/RG type guitars better. A formula I've also tested several times over.

My .02

The best deals on unpainted furniture or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!

The pups being active don't make a difference.

EMG leaflet states that their pups don't need grounded strings to shield the pups from noise 'cos they are shielded internally. This of course is bullshit. String movement induces current flow in the pup coil electromagnetically. If the front of the pup was shielded against EM there would be no signal when the strings are plucked. Like, duuuhhhhh!

EMG also says the bridge wire "grounds the strings and uses them and your body (my emphasis) as a shield against hum and buzz". Bzzt - WRONG! Your body is the source of the noise. See here for details on that...

So if the buzz goes away when you touch the strings that means the strings are gounded.

You (or indeed, I) might be suspecting at this point that EMG don't know over much about electronic theory. But perhaps they're just playing dumb because they have our best interests at heart. Since, as they also (correctly!) note, removing the string ground "greatly reduces the possibility of reverse polarity shock from microphones and other equipment".

I've gotta say, I've witnessed thousands of guys playing onstage with grounded strings in their guitars and none of them died. Pure conjecture on my part, but I'd be willing to bet more musicians cork it in RTAs on the way to/from a gig than get fried onstage. But it does happen, and it's worth avoiding (Trivium, Fall Out Boy, etc. notwithstanding)...

Try here for advice on how to stay safe without ushering a fuck-ton of disgusting buzz into your signal chain.

Me, I went the wireless guitar and wireless mic path way before I read any of this stuff, 'cos I am clumsy and got sick of tripping over the cables and hogtying myself. Only later did I realise I had inadvertantly saved myself from a one-in-a-billion-or-so chance of certain death. Now I only have to worry about crossing the road.

Yeah, seen it happen a few times, but nowhere lethal level..

Anywho, esp/ltd could just make white ec-400's or ec-1000's with passive pickups and my problem would be solved, meh meh meh:heh: