One big reason I prefer active pickups to passives

I can't imagine a BETTER pickup for lead guitar than the JB quite in an alder bodied Jackson. A friend of mine has the DK2S model, which I've played a bazillion times, and the stock JB sounded totally wicked for leads. But eh, different strokes for different folks.
Yeah, I own a DK2S and I intended on swapping the pup when I bought it and felt no need once I played it. But if marcus doesn't care for it that's cool too.

You know, I guess I will give the JB a try, all my negative experiences with it have been in mahogany guitars (where I always found it too loose and flubby), so maybe it'll be better in an Alder one! (rosewood fretboard btw, and a bolt-on neck as well, not neck-thru)

Alder definitely helps to get rid of the flub factor of JBs. It wont be super tight obviously, but it should be enough to work with if you're not planning on playing technical death metal tune to A all day long
Maple topped mahogany guitars also do much better than pure mahogany body guitars for the flub

Actually the JB might work well, I'm loving it for leads in my Jackson Sam Ash Limited Soloist. Though that one's neckthru, specwise it's the closest in my collection to your incoming DK2.
The only guitar I really don't like the JB in is my basswood DKMGT, but it works well in mahogany for me.
However, the Custom is my favourite lead pickup - tried and true in ash and mahogany axes, followed closely by the Distortion (which is my secret favourite neck pickup too!).

As for the "Dead spot" thing while bending, I'll be honest that I never really noticed it and if it were truly a problem, I severely doubt guys like Satch would be playing normal, non blade passives, given that the guy bends strings more often than I piss when I'm drunk.

Its not that its a big issue with polepieces, but bladed/railed pickups do sound more even when bending, but to me the biggest difference is in the sound.. i find rail-pickups to be less muddy then polepieced ones.
Both my Knight Warriors are pulled in to pieces(To build one awesome one.), so i cant record comparisons at the moment, but when its done il try to remember it!

I used to have JB / jazz set in my Ibanez jem and thought it sounded great for leads. Much better than the emg 81 I have in it know. Some times I think about switching them back, but I am too lazy.

And really as you already know Marcus the lead tone is all about the guy playing. I predict you could play the same solo with two totally different guitars and every person that is not a musician will think they sound exactly the same. That has been my experience with my wife and former room mates. I spend forever messing with different guitar / pickup/ amp / effect combination and they just say it sounded the same as before.

Eventually I just said fuck it and decided to play what I already have and stop lusting over new gear (well I try to stop lusting over new gear :lol:).

Maple topped mahogany guitars also do much better than pure mahogany body guitars for the flub

This is indeed true. up until I bought my Ibanez ART300, I had never had a guitar with any form of cap. I had all solid body single wood guitars. The ART300 has become my favorite sounding guitar as I think the Mahogany Body with Maple Cap seem to create the perfect tonal balance I was looking for.

The maple cap seems to add crisp aspect to the mahogany's low to mid low tones. It all comes together to create that vintage smooth tone I always associated with say Paul Reed Smith guitars. While I have stuck with the stock active pickups in the ART300 (I've actually been quite impressed with them despite the nature of many stock Ibanez pickups - just need to make sure you keep fresh batteries in them and they sound really good) I've given some serious thought to putting a JB in the bridge position as some of my favorite lead tones seem to come from them. As noted by other Michael Amott's tone is godly at times and has been one of the factors in considering the upgrade to my stock pickups.

I say go with the JB - I think for the styles you play and from what I have heard of your soloing - it will be a great match.

+1 on the JB since it will be your "lead" guitar.

You could also check out petrucci's new signature dimarzio's. The tone he got on their last album is amazing and really tight for the first time after "scenes from a memory"

I used to have the JB in all of my guitars, now I have a Distortion in all of my guitars. To me they sound very similar, the Distortion is just a bit hotter.

I used to have the JB in all of my guitars, now I have a Distortion in all of my guitars. To me they sound very similar, the Distortion is just a bit hotter.

Throw in a ceramic magnet in a JB and it becomes disturbingly similar to a Distortion

Throw in a ceramic magnet in a JB and it becomes disturbingly similar to a Distortion

Yeah, I was about to say, I seem to remember hearing the Distortion was in fact just a JB with a ceramic magnet - if not exactly, I guess close enough to get an idea of the sound similarities (and differences) between the two anyway! Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll give the JB a try for a bit, and then when I get some cash, I'll probably buy a Custom, Alternative VIII, L-500XL (as they now apparently call it :p), and maybe Evo to do another gondo shootout (though it'll be awhile I'm afraid!)

I can vouch for that Motor City Afwayu. Have em in my Les Paul. Pretty ballsy! I might go with something ceramic in the future though.

-Joe

+1 on the JB since it will be your "lead" guitar.

You could also check out petrucci's new signature dimarzio's. The tone he got on their last album is amazing and really tight for the first time after "scenes from a memory"

Good call - his new one is called the Crunch Lab (lame :loco: ), but I think I'd like it better then his previous sig. pickup, the D-Sonic (which I've heard clips of that sounded painfully woofy, similar to the Tone Zone :yuk: )

Yeah, I was about to say, I seem to remember hearing the Distortion was in fact just a JB with a ceramic magnet

The JB, Distortion, and Invader all have the same coils.

JB has an A5 magnet, Distortion has this HUGE ceramic, it's like twice the thickness of a normal one, and the Invader has the large allen poles and a standard sized ceramic magnet.

The Custom series are all the same coils, as well; Custom has a ceramic, C5 has an A5, and C2 has an A2.

Duncan hasn't admitted it, but we've all got an inkling feeling that the FS neck is just a Jazz neck with allen pole pieces.

And FWIW, the D-Sonic wasn't that bad of a pickup, but the Crunchlab is actually really fucking cool, and probably going in my RG7620.