One big reason I prefer active pickups to passives

DiMarzio > Seymour Duncan. Forget the JB and all that crap, the Evolution totally kills all of them.

Really?
My experience with DiMarzio is that they are KILLER for leads and cleans, but are kind of bland at rythm.. whereas Duncan's are killer for everything(Not saying that DiMarzio is bad though.).

@ Marcus

Why don't you like active EMGs in your lead axe?

Eh, I don't mind them, and all the solos on my myspace were recorded with an 81, but I feel the incredible clarity and detail they give (which is so awesome for rhythm :worship:) can get a bit frustrating with lead playing, when every little stray string or pick noise comes through - I'm hoping a fairly hot, clear passive pup will smooth that out nicely without getting indistinct!

I would suggest the Dimarzio Steve's Special. It came in the original MM JP sig but slightly altered. And also, if you tried the ToneZone in a mahogany guitar, then that would probably be why you didnt like it. But I threw the tonezone in the neck of my S series and it sounds pretty mean.

Yeah, I was about to say, I seem to remember hearing the Distortion was in fact just a JB with a ceramic magnet - if not exactly, I guess close enough to get an idea of the sound similarities (and differences) between the two anyway! Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll give the JB a try for a bit, and then when I get some cash, I'll probably buy a Custom, Alternative VIII, L-500XL (as they now apparently call it :p), and maybe Evo to do another gondo shootout (though it'll be awhile I'm afraid!)

If you're gonna try Dimarzio, I do strongly suggest the Evo II before the original Evo.
The Evo is probably better for high gain rhythm playing, but the lead tone strikes me as being a bit piercing (in a bad way), whereas the Evo II seems to get that balance between clarity and not being too bright just right I think