The non-bass player’s bass buying guide. (Please help me to help myself)

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Greetings miscreants. After some testing I've decided that, despite how great I think the various virtual bass instruments are, a real bass still sounds better. Even, to my ears, my cheapo no name brand bass sounds better.

After trolling through many a bass thread, I've come to a few conclusions and many assumptions. So I herewith submit them to you for your scrutiny my findings, thoughts, and unanswered questions. I have numbered them so you can simply quote the number when responding. There is no need for block quoting.

This thread is by no mean authoritative, in fact quite the opposite. If I knew what I was doing I would not have read dozens of threads looking for answers. I also want to make it clear that by “non-bass” player that I am aiming this at squarely at guitarists who, like many (including myself), find themselves performing the bass player’s duties for whatever reason.

Of course everything I've written here could be complete rubbish, but this is where my research has led me to. I’m sure there’s plenty I’ve left out, this is by no means complete. Please correct me where I'm wrong, add your own thoughts, or even confirm anything that is valid.

1. Bass models. Ibanez, Fender, Musicman seem to be the most common in this metal world. Having said that…. Fender Jazz bass. These seem to be the staple rock/metal bass. They have a great reputation as being easy to record and capture a good sound. They also have an appeal much wider than metal.

My main confusion here is what model? The American standard seems like a good life long investment where a cheaper Squire or Mexican model seems like it could get the job done but I'm not convinced it would be your go to thunder broom in a few years.

2. 4 vs 5 string. If you play a 7 string guitar I think a 5 string is a no brainer. Especially if you'll be performing the bass duties yourself. I've read conflicting information on the string spacing of 4 vs 5 strings, some say it has little impact on the playability others hate the tighter string spacing.

As for other tunings, well I guess it depends on how far down you need to tune. Again if your main machine is the guitbox then keeping the tuning interval pattern is important for porting from one instrument to another.

3. Scale length. Although subjective, whether you use a 34" or 35" is not only impacted by how low you tune but the scale length your guitar that you play. If you're accustomed to longer scale lengths on your guitar neck then an extended bass neck will afford you the same tuning and intonation benefits.

4. String gauge. Although the same rules apply as for guitar strings, I do however think slightly heavy strings are a good idea. Keep in mind that as a non-bass playing bass player you are less likely to perform bends, vibrato, etc like you would on a guitar or if you were a full time bass player. Getting a good solid bass track will be easier if the strings intonate well, don't go too sharp when you smack them, and don't bend too much under the fingers.

As for an actual string gauge for a 5 string, based only on a slight prevalence and by no means a consensus, 45 - 135 is a good place to start. Any of the reputable brands are recommended.

5. String life. Unfortunately I’ve seen (I admit I’m guilty of this) many bass players, and I mean bass players not guitarists playing bass, leave stings on for years. Just like guitar, you need to change your strings regularly. If your recording it depends how you play. Obviously different players are going to go through strings at different rates. I’m going to say change them every song if you can.

6. Timbers. Maple necks with maple or rosewood fretboards are pretty standard. As for bodies Mahogany is darker sounding so is more prevalent on thinner bodies such as Ibanez where Alder bodies for the bigger shapes like fender. Ash is not uncommon.

7. Pickups. This is unclear to me. In the guitar world almost no one use stock pickups. Ratios of active to passive vary, active is certainly more prevalent in the metal world. But with bass I’m not so sure. My limited experience is that a good stock active or passive in say a fender Jazz is a pretty good pickup that most non-bassist should be happy with. Having said that, there are a lot of Jazz basses that have both active and passive modes.

8. Using controls. When it comes to guitar controls I have one rule, if there's a tone or volume knob, I say if because I'm prone to pulling them out, put it on 10. What's the deal with the bass controls? I don’t even understand all the controls on a jazz bass? Is it the same kind of thing as for a guitar or is there more of a science to it? Pup selection?

9. Picks. IMO those sharp little buggers (you know what I’m talking about) don’t cut it. I prefer something more along the lines of the more standard Dunlop tortex 1mm garden variety of pick. Unless you’re super skilled and most likely a real bass player then avoid using the fingers.

10. Amps. I’m not even going to touch this.

11. ?

I've played all these criteria through to myself for the last 3 years, and arrived at the Spector Euro 5LX. It ultimately came down to a bunch of raw DI bass shoot outs, and working out which guitars consistently sounded the best. I've yet to hear one to even come close to how the Spectors sound raw. The new models have coil-splitting so you can get J-tone out of them too if that's your bag.

That must make you feel sick to see that. That store has gone way down hill after Allans took over. Unfortunately most stores have closed near me so I have to go there.

1.: The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz is a really good bass for the money imo. I prefer it to the mexican Fenders I've played. I had a bass player come in with an American one the other week though and that growled like no other bass I've recorded! All comes down to what you can afford really.

8. Jazz has a volume for each pickup and a master tone control.

^ Thanks for your input.

I haven't played the squire, it's really hard to play anything down here as no one keeps stock. I did play a Fender American Deluxe Jazz with the active pickups. It sounded really rad. I had the volume treble and bass on full and the neck bridge pick ups set to 50/50. Pity it was a four string. I like that you can switch to passive if you want. Passive sounds pretty close to the regular passives, at least I can't hear any difference.

I played a Specter Euro 5 EX (not sure what the difference to the LX is) yesterday. Un-plugged unfortunately. For a bass that retails for it had four of the worst looking plastic knobs on it that I've ever seen.

EDIT: this one http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/p...O5_EX_Bass_Guitar_(Birdseye_Poplar_Burl).aspx 40% off which puts is under $2k which is not bad.

That's the one I bought. Unfortunately due to the issues mentioned before I've had to get a refund, but the first one I got was a really good sounding bass.

If it's only the knobs that bother you, I think you'll be relieved to know that replacing them would probably cost less than $5.

Do you know what the difference between the Ex and the LX is? A lot of people raving about the LX but I can't find the EX anywhere.

I'm not that worried about the knobs, if it sounds good I don't care. I just thought is was strange to have such a high end spec on all the hardware then horrible plastic knobs.

The EX is just the 'Exotic Top' version of the LX. It took me about a day of research to find that out, as nobody else really refers to it as the EX other than Hyde's and some Singaporean review I found of the bass.

The Burled Poplar & Spalted Maple tops are considered exotic, whereas the standard LX models come in figured maple finishes.

As said before Spector Euro or Euro LX are amazing for funk to metal. Can be had used for roughly $1k and will be nicer than most USA's from other companies (USA Spectors are even nicer but almost double the price). I had a Euro (solid maple body, LX has a pancake body and different preamp) and only sold it cause the neck was too thick, gave me cramps. The LX is slightly thinner, actually a USA neck shipped to Czech, but that little bit helped enough. Few examples are Flea from RHCP's Mothers Milk (higher ground), Jason Newsted from MetallicA's black album (minus a few songs), Rex from Pantera's VDOP on, Mike Starr from Alice In Chains Facelift and Dirt... Most newer sounding basses come from the Spector sound.

Well, it's done.

Spector-Euro5LX-Matte2.jpg

One thing I've noticed, and I may have overlooked that I did it on the first Spector that came through here.. but you really need to boost the highs on the bass in order for it to sound clear going in. Once you dime them the clarity is just fantastic.

^

So Ermin are you happy with it? Quite expensive though :S Could you post DI's? I to want to buy a nice sounding bass because it seems like bands and bass players don't know shit when it comes to bassguitars haha.