Different mixing formats. Opinions?

Sep 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, so iv'e been scratching my head trying to decide how im going to present this.:err: But here we go.

As a member of this forum, i noticed that i really only came across 2 methods of mixing (so far).

1- one way was to start with the kick drum and buildup from there. They said to make sure to start off at -18dbfs, adn when ur done with the mix, your ceiling should be around -6dbfs. Then you master.

2- The other way was posted by Mr. Sturgis (who invented the internet btw). He informed us on how to group everything and make it a "cleaner" project that's easy to work with. He then states that you solo the group of your choice (drums), and turn the slider down to -9 and clear the master bus. He then says to mix them full throttle by making sure everything is close to hit 0. Once everything is hitting around 0, he says to reset the fader to 0 and to set the input gain to -9. he then states that it's almost impossible to clip with a reduction of -9 dbs.

I understand that Joey Mixes as he goes, and mixes into a mastering chain. I was just curious as to which one would result in a better outcome. Mixing with everything low (at least a couple of dbs of ceiling) or having everything slamming (in a controlled way).

P.s. When you Mix into a mastering chain, do you have a "start preset" type of thing and just tweak it as you go? or do you have a set preset that controls the mix from start to finish?

thanks guys! :kickass:

To be able to mix into your mastering chain, m sure you'l need a starting point (preset perhaps) because when you start you wont be 100% sure what your master is gonna need. So yes, a 'Preset" i.e. starting point, will will necessary :D

Thanks for ur reply! But how would someone put a limiter on the masterbus if they don't know how their mix sounds? Like how hard should u hit the limiter?

The bands I record always seem to want to finish one complete song at a time. Which is okay cuz after I mix and master that one song it gives me a solid mastering chain to track into for the remainder of their EP.

i would do a proper mix first and maybe then apply a specific master chain and keep it on my master bus... and then just go back to mixing again, adjust the master chain, repeat...

and the master chain is the same exact (plugins/settings) as the previous songs? (for that certain band)

Yep. As long as the fx chains don't change on the individual instruments. Of course, one must double check every mix when using this method because it isn't always concrete. But because most of my bands follow a basic formula, it's usually one and done.