Digitech Gsp 1101

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
I bought one days ago used but almost new quite cheap. Man dont know if it´s me or not but this thing sucks with high gain stuff. Really sucks, the distortions are so fucking fizzy, have so much nasty high frequencies that isnt funny. Sounds quite unpleasant to the ear, even if I cut a lot of frequencies, still doesnt sound good at all. Dont know why they didnt put a LPF in this shit. Anyway, even if I managed to get something usable of high gain, it works for power chords well but for leads stuff it´s again a pain to hear. I am very disappointed about this processor.

I have to consider that this isnt working very well with my gear, I have a rocktron velocity and a harley benton vintage 2x12 and simply isnt good. I tried different configurations in I/O setup, system target for a better sound but none of them are really good, well quite far from that. Even what people really praises in this processor, the effects, I cant say I am blown away by them, they sound ok but nothing that a processor in the same price range hasnt. Rocktron prophesy reverb/dealys are infinite times better IMO.

I really had a paranoia that my gear wasnt just working with this so, I decided to plug my audio techinca m50 to hear if with headphones was a little better, it´s even worse!ahaha it´s fizzy as hell. Well we all know that processors with headphones sucks and it´s always better with a good cab. So I wasnt suprised at all. Anyway this probably might sound much better with a tube amp. But I will not spend more money, it´s the next shit on the selling list.

I have a RP500 and I would never use it as a preamp. I bought it for the FX's. Digitech is not good at ampsims.

Get an AMT pedal if you're on a budget (a good choice even if you're not on a budget) and use the GSP as a mere multiFX.

Get a tube power amp once you have more money.

I have a RP500 and I would never use it as a preamp. I bought it for the FX's. Digitech is not good at ampsims.

Get an AMT pedal if you're on a budget (a good choice even if you're not on a budget) and use the GSP as a mere multiFX.

Get a tube power amp once you have more money.

But you have a 5150, if I had one I wouldnt use it as a preamp also!lol
I could have one but I want just something to play at home at low volume. Valve amps only sound good when loud so it´s not a good option for home.

I would like to put my hands on a AMT P1 but they are quite rare in used classifieds.

I cant say I am unhappy with rocktron velocity but I didnt compare it other ones, doesnt sound awesome but does the job. I heard good things about Tube Works Mosvalve but dont know if worth a change.

Try to get a hold of the unofficial c63 firmware update, it has a pretty usable 5150 sim. It was available on mustbebeta.com a few years ago, but now i see that the website is down

I used one for some times!!! As xFkx said! Get the firmware from mustbebeta! You will get a pretty decent 5150 sim! My live tone was built with it and it was really great!! You can even load impulses with this firmware!

The c63 firmware is a must. The amp models they added are great. I use mine live all the time. It is great for the money and the foot controller over ethernet is awesome.

I find a lot of the amp modelers at the time to be very muffled, muddy and dark. The GSP1101 was the first one to have some bite and at least some clarity and the pick attack feels good. But yeah at the cost of some fizziness and some upper mid strangeness.

I have never played an AxeFX, but my Kemper does shit all over it in raw tone. Usability still goes to the GSP1101 though. To me it is just the more complete, gig-ready product. And at well under a grand for a new unit and foot controller, it is a no-brainer.

When I bought it, it came alreadly with last firmware but to be honest still sounds like shit. As I said before and after reading so many people reviewing this as a great processor I just can say that this might not be working with my gear because it simply doesnt sound good at all.

The problem isnt the gain or the effects or something else. The problem to me is the cab simulation, it´s a shit, after trying it for a few hours I can say that only one cab seems to be satisfactory but far from great and this has more than 20 cab simulations. The problems with the cab simulations, is that they are fizzy as hell and make them useless but the again, with a tube amp this could be very different.

When I bought it, it came alreadly with last firmware but to be honest still sounds like shit. As I said before and after reading so many people reviewing this as a great processor I just can say that this might not be working with my gear because it simply doesnt sound good at all.

The problem isnt the gain or the effects or something else. The problem to me is the cab simulation, it´s a shit, after trying it for a few hours I can say that only one cab seems to be satisfactory but far from great and this has more than 20 cab simulations. The problems with the cab simulations, is that they are fizzy as hell and make them useless but the again, with a tube amp this could be very different.

Yeah that was definitely true with all cab sims of that time... and the GSP1101 is no better without a doubt. On the upside, you can load your own impulses, but they get cut off past a certain depth. From what I can tell it kind of messes with the low-end a bit.

I just use mine live, so it is cab simulation turned off and I use a Carvin BX500 solid state bass amp via the FX Return. The FX Return goes though a switchable 12AX7 and the graphic EQ for some final tweaking. 5lbs, making for a killer and portable live rig.

If I had to use it in the studio for some reason for anything beyond demos, I would just use an impulse loader.