DiMarzio Dominion Mark Morton sig.pickups test (video/LoG inspired riffing/Mesa MKIV)

Max Morton

Sep 21, 2008
UA, Kyiv
www.maxmorton.com
Hey!
Testing lots of pickups for my Dean, ran into these new DiMarzio Dominions. Liked them a lot, decided to write a track that would reveal their qualities.
To make it more challenging for me and probably more interesting for you, I got myself inspired by the mighty Lamb of God. After all, it's all about Mark Morton signature pickups, right?

For this video I used Mesa Mark IV and Mesa rectocab 4x12 miked with AKG B-ULS in figure 8 pattern. No multiband comp and quite a minimalistic eq. Somehow it was the easiest guitar tone I've achieved so far. And one of my favourite ones at the same time.

Anyway, check it out and tell me what you think:

Almost forgot! Here's a link to some stems (just three tracks - drums, bass and all riffs): http://www.maxmorton.com/DimarzioDominionTestByMaxMorton.rar

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol had to read that 4 times until I understood who's signature pickups that is...long day I guess^^

Awesome riffs and the sound is pretty nice too!
Also digging the video.

Why an 8 on the 414?

Thanks!
Yeah I meant it to be confusing, lol:)
Figure 8 is my favourite for the last couple of months. Somehow it just makes sound more prepared eq-wise. A bit more bottom, a bit less nazal stuff, a bit less sterile. Sounds more like a cab. Just put it into a sweet spot and do three or four surgical cuts. Plus a HP filter. Done.

cool, guess I wouldn't have tried an 8 on a cab...thought that maybe too much junk from the room would come to the direct signal.
Will try that when I have the chance to!

cool, guess I wouldn't have tried an 8 on a cab...thought that maybe too much junk from the room would come to the direct signal.
Will try that when I have the chance to!

Same thing with me - I just forgot to flip the mic to cardioid (or even hypercardioid) as before. "Wow, what a sweet spot!" - I thought to myself:)

In fact, with the neutral room, there's virtually nothing roomy entering the mic from the other side, as soon as the cab is not facing the wall. Perhaps it just works in my case. Perhaps, in the future I'll find the drawbacks of this method.

Another thing I love about it is that I can add less bass on the amp (cos this AKG is quite bass heavy and even more bass heavy in figure 8 pattern), and due to that the cab does not resonate that hard. The bass sounds clearer and even "faster" to me.

Great tone! The c414 is my favorite mic for guitars and lots of other things. I don't miss a chance to express how awesome I think it is.

Clark Kent: "I matched this" sounds like the best compliment to me:) Well, anyway the amp settings were something like "80hz a bit more then a half, 240 a bit more then a half, 750 at around 1/6 or so, 220 half, 6000 half. presence at maximum. Simul class mode, class A mode, pentode mode. Lead gain and lead drive knobs pulled out.

But it's so unexact! First of all, as I said it's the revision A head, it's very old and I'm keeping it the way it is even though it's EQ faders are getting quite noisy. It has a special sound and I hope it will remain the same after I get it restored (cos I feel that this time will come).

Adrian Warren: Hell yeah! I prefer it on vocals. I'm not sure about the newer 414's, but this one is really dark and wooly, but when you boost the high end, it's very clear, un-resonant and detailed. Plus, it has a brilliant low end, which I find almost unique.

X14Halo: Thank you Sir!

Question...I downloaded your zipped up folder with all the files...
When the guitar kicks into stereo, is that just 2 guitar takes panned 100% left and right with nothing else added? Whenever I do that it doesn't seem this full to me...maybe I am just doing it wrong or my tone sucks. :erk: