Dimarzio X2N vs EMG 81

Snowblind said:
Which one of these pickups is better and why?

Here's a great unimportant answer for you...... either is better because it is simply a matter of taste. My long-time guitar hero plays an 81 so I am partial to the sound, but it is still a matter of taste when you are comparing two top-notch quality products like those.

Bryant

Im not sure about the EMG, but I love my Dimarzio X2N, as it has an awesome crunch that doesnt hide what you play. Good luck with whatever you choose.

My personal favourite pickup is the DiMarzio X2N. I prefer it a LOT to the EMG. It has the high output, but it retains the character and feel of a passive pickup. I find that active pickups have a "sterile" tone, and little feel.

The best thing you can do is "audition" both and let your ears decide for you.

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

X2N here. No worries of your battery will ever die. And it has some soul to it. The EMG to me is lifeless and it can make a lot of guitars sound alike since they have the preamp in the pickup.

I orderd an X2N just yesterday. Thought about EMGs, too, but I didn't want to mess around with batteries (the guitar would have needed some changing, too, right?) and anyway: the EMG has been used sooooooo often by soooooooo many bands, I dont want to sound like everyone else.
also, I am very happy with the Dimarzio Super 2 in my other guitar, so I thought I'd stay with Dimarzio

i hate emgs, cause they sound the same no matter what

they dont allow the actual guitar to work.

with the x2n, you get the same high output sound, but you get your own uniform sound cause of the guitar you are using.

Another topic full of unfundamented "dogmas" about active pickups. I think the words sterile and lifeless are kind of worn out around here. I know some of you have tried actives and passives (despite the fact that others just talk out of their asses, having no experience with decent actives). But anyway, I think you're getting on the anti active bandwagon without actually thinking about waht you're saying. Let's get serious here. Do David Gilmour and Steve Lukather have sterile, lifeless tone? Gilmour obviously has awesome tone, and Lukather is more famous for his tone than his playing, really. Just ask all the rack maniacs out there (myself included). If you guys would just say actives and passives sound different, that would be just fine. But I just can't help myself when the "sterile", "lifeless" kind of talk starts.

Reactions: Lasse Lammert
i have no option on the two becasue im to poor to get around to buying some nice pick ups, and if i do i'll buy some passave one based on the face that iv'e only used passave ones and gone to like the tone and natrual sounds from them.i do need to experiment with actives some day.

Hey Indioo. Then why is it that nearly any band that uses EMG 81's have a Metallica/In Flames/Kreatopr note definition? the damn things sound alike no matter what guitar you use. And please spare me the high and mighty shit ok? You dont know more than most people here ok?

Hexer: Ya dont want to sound like everyone else so you are buying a X2N? Ya know how many people use those?

iced in flames, the x2n sounds different on each guitar, cause it isnt passive. so i mean, yeh hell get the same type of sound, but he never will get the same exact sound.

and as for people saying they are sterile and lifeless... they are. tone has a lot to do with your amp and settings as well. i can make my guitar sound amazing, or i can make it sound like a shoebox with a rubberband around it. all with fucking arund with my amp.

Iced In Flames said:
Hey Indioo. Then why is it that nearly any band that uses EMG 81's have a Metallica/In Flames/Kreatopr note definition? the damn things sound alike no matter what guitar you use. And please spare me the high and mighty shit ok? You dont know more than most people here ok?

Hexer: Ya dont want to sound like everyone else so you are buying a X2N? Ya know how many people use those?

Hmmm..... I think Indioo was a little brash with his statements, but I don't agree that the 81 sounds the same for every player by a long shot. The guitar itself has tonal qualities as does the amp choice (by a big degree.) Acoustic guitars don't sound the same and they rely purely on wood resonance.

Bryant

Iced: yeah ok, quite a lot of people use the X2N, too. but still not as many as use the EMG 81 I think.
like I said before: so far, Dimarzio seem to be just the PUs I like, so I thought I'd stay with them.

Well, at the moment I have an X2N in one my guitars, and it's great, nice and hot and clear, very very cool pickup and recomended.

Then also, I still want to get an axe fitted out with some EMG's, i used to have all of them with EMG's but moved away and to passives a few years back, but there is nothing like the tone you can get from an EMG, despite that the guitar tone makes less of a difference than with passives. Battery is a hassle, but they are still very cool and are recomended.

So I'd say neither is better, as I like both :)

i wanna put an X2n in my KV2, I play a lot inbetween Powermetal and Death metal. Do you guys recomend it?

Also, does anyone know of a US dimarzio X2n dealer that ships to scotland?

Here they are £75 and i'd rather pay $70 (£35-40), :)

god i'm such a money hording bastard

I'd say go for it. My friend also has a X2N in a Kelly of his. KE2. It sounds pretty damn good in there I must say. Really good note definition.

As for a dealer. How about Musicians Friend?

Indeed, if anyone knows of a US dealer which ships X2N's to Europe then I, too, would be very glad to hear about it. Here in Sweden it would likely cost me $130-150 (no joke) so you can imagine that I'd much rather order one for $50-70 from the US and pay whatever the shipping is...

Alright, maybe I wasn't very polite. Sorry about that. But it just pisses me off really.

Why do all bands that use 81s sound like Metallica or In Flames? Well, maybe because of all the Rectifiers and 5150 they also use. And please, don't limit the active pickup suject to a damn EMG 81. If you look closely, I never mentioned that pickup model, as I was refering to actives in general, but that's fine. You don't seem to have taken in consideration the examples I gave. But I'll give it to you, the 81 is the worst of all the actives I've tried, but it's not a bad pickup by any chance.

High and mighty shit? Where exactly?

Reactions: Lasse Lammert