Dime

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
Metal FAIL. I totally forgot yesterday was the 10 year anniversary of the day the best metal guitarist ever left us.
image_zps58ebe2b7.jpg

HAILS

Someone mentioned it at work yesterday, because I forgot as well. I then proceeded to drive into the wilderness with many a Pantera CD and thoroughly enjoyed my own company. Dimebag ruled. \m/

I'm sure I've told this story here at least 17 times, but when the news broke the veritable Bat signal went out, and all of us headbangers that grew up with Pantera got together and drank quite heavily, celebrating the life that was Dimebag. Wait, let me see if I posted it that very evening. Magic search powers... engage!
RRRRRRAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAOROOO
RORORRRRRRRRR!!!!

Tonight, I drank a shitload of beer and Jagermeister, got in about 14 moshpits, 1 fight, 1 beer whizzing contest (I totally one this by spraying a Corona over about 4 dudes), 1 beer bottle broken over my FUCKING FACE, and we listened to Boingo, Megadeth, and Pantera all night.

I hope Vinne and Dime would be proud. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!1111111

:mad: :mad: :cry: :zombie: :mad:
That was posted at 3am the evening he was killed. I don't remember getting in a fight?! I do remember the beer bottle being broken over my face though. Pretty neat really. That was a fucked up evening, but we made the best out of it methinks.

Pantera - (pan-tair-uh) - noun
1. the heavy metal equivalent of a lifted Dodge Ram truck
2. the reason why rednecks love America
3. the reason why the rest of the world hates Americans
"Dude, some Eurofag on the internet totally made fun of Pantera the night that Dimebag was murdered!"
"WHAT?! Let's get in my Power Wagon and run his homo ass over, for being too gay to love Pantera."

i remembered yesterday, and had intentions of coming home and listening to some pantera, but once i was home i forgot. i am fixing that now.

they had some decent songs, but i never liked phils tough guy attitude. and yes, the jock metal tag suits them perfectly. hardly the best ever at anything, but still, no dude deserves to go out like that.

I dont know about any of that stuff - I was still in high school when Vulgar came out. As far as bands that rule your high school years go, they were up there with AiC. That's pretty esteemed company, imo.
Anyway, they wrote some bad songs and had what I felt were a lot of filler on some of their albums but Dime himself wrote some of the heaviest riffs ever. His style spawned HUNDREDS of bands and maybe even the entire genre of nu-metal (Pantera however was not nu-metal, ftr). He was an excellent soloist. In the mid-90s he was named best guitarist in all of the magazines read by actual musicians. His interviews were always interesting and he was candid and humble about who influenced him. He was always affable and genuinely cared about fans (as did Pantera as a whole). I don't know anything about Damageplan or any of those post-Pantera bands but I can say that 23 years later, every note of Cemetary Gates still kicks my dick in.

Dorian, I think this is the part of the thread where you and I start calling one another "brother," in a purely masculine sort of way.

Yeah. As much as I came to despise Pantera fans (and lost all interest in their music after FBD), I have to say I loved Cowboys and Vulgar in high school. They were part of the soundtrack of my life then.