dimmu borgir keys/strings

Jan 23, 2006
does anybody knwo what they used on puritanical? i know it was all midi.... im just looking into doing real good sounding midi strings and such.

what samplers/sample packs should i look into?

Mac dual g5
Logic pro 7

Yea? All midi?

I thought that Dimmu usually hired some ensembles to record the stuff. Of course combined with midi/samples/synth etc. That's the way i would do it. (if the budget is there ;-)

I usually do the "poor people" workaround:

I track/produce all that stuff in midi using the Bands Keybord (most of the time a Korg Triton) - later i record everything into the DAW - multilayer sounds usually split to individual tracks (for instance strings deep, strings melo, choir1 male and choir female and so on).

Then i fire up the Gigastudio System and go through the stuff, experimenting with sounds, i often programm some extra strings and stuff like that in Giga.

I can highly recommend Vienna Symphonic Librarys. They are shurely one of the biggest and most professional (but very expensive) Librarys availeble these days.

I have Gigastudio Orchestra (the big pacage) - a "Lite" (but still big) version of the Vienna Stuff is included, that usually is enough for my needs.

The most important thing when programming strings is the arrangement (not everything plaing the same notes etc) - you should try to get a grip on classical orchestral stuff, the recording etc. I record classical music here from time to time, i like it!

You propably want to layer loads of sounds bacause that is how an ensemble/orchestra works. Be carefull with panning!! Take a look at a picture of a real orchestra and try to understand how they are placed and why they are placed that way.

Using the proper reverbiation is important was well.

HTH
brandy

I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that Death Cult Armageddon had a pretty big live orchestra on it. As for midi-based stuff though, I haven't heard anyone talk about the Reason Strings refill yet, but I bought it a couple years ago (it's only like $100 new) and I've been able to get some pretty real and appropriate sounds out if it. There are a couple ensemble patches that really help thicken it up in addition to using the solo instruments. Otherwise I don't have much else input to offer, but I would have to agree with brandy about the Vienna Symphonic Library stuff...I've heard again and again that it's top-notch stuff.

The whole hype about PEM was that they used a real orchestra. Of course with keyboards on top.
From Dimmu Borgirs homepage (about PEM):
"the band recorded various tracks with the Gothenburg symphonic orchestra"

And DCA was with Prague Philharmonic orchestra...

Mustis keyboards: Korg X5d, Korg Triton, Korg Trinity, Korg Z1

I've used the Korg Triton Extreme myself and there are som pretty nice strings with realistic attack, but for piano i'd go with roland or kurtzweil