Dio as a hologram

PureXul

Jul 31, 2006
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ro...tes-via-hologram-at-wacken-open-air-festival/

Perhaps I'm being a curmudgeon, but this doesn't sit right with me at all, especially the plan to take it out on tour. A one time thing, fine, I can see how it would be a cool surprise, but taking it out on tour just strikes me as a cash grab, and runs antithetical to the spirit of live metal.

Thoughts?

As an aside, I know this happened at Wacken and that aspect is better suited for the Lounge sub-forum, but I'm more curious to hear people's views about taking this on tour and/or the prospect of other bands using the technology in the future.

One of these old days you'll see the entire deceased band right there on your desktop as a hologram. Yes its a cash grab, and charity doesn't usually go very far. Someone's gonna make a buck. Yes it cheapens what Dio was, but what can you do? Any Elvis sightings lately?

I thought it was cool for a one-off at Wacken (why are there absolutely no videos of this on YouTube BTW?), or maybe to close each show of the Dio Disciples. But making it a tour with a full set would be too much indeed...

Clearly this is a money grabbing stint. I'm ok for the one time only thing but to tour off that...Don't worry, I'm sure that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have been modeling for their holograms for a long, long time and will pull this out for a tour as well.

I'm not sure about the use of Dio's image this way, but I do think the technology has potential. For example, existing bands could record holographic performances and just send it out on tour while they hang out at the beach. It would also be a neat way to re-introduce long dead performers to new generations. But with Dio, it's just too soon. This doesn't show new fans how great he was, it just gives old fans an excuse to not say goodbye. i"d pay to see the Beatles though, or Elvis, or Jimi Hendrix.

This is too big of a topic for me to contemplate and come up with an opinion of in a short time. I think a one off thing like the one here, or even using this a few times in festivals is fine by me. Taking it on the road as a tour.... that is where I would have to sit down and think about it. My initial opinion is that I don't think I would like it.

RONNIE JAMES DIO Hologram To Make U.S. Debut At POLLSTAR LIVE!'s 'Pollstar Awards'

"....A hologram of the late Ronnie James Dio will make its U.S. debut at the 28th annual Pollstar Awards on February 2 at the The Novo (formerly Club Nokia) in Los Angeles, California. Created by Eyellusion, the appearance of the heavy metal icon will take place during a performance by DIO DISCIPLES, which pays tribute to Ronnie and is fully supported by his widow/manager, Wendy....."

RONNIE JAMES DIO HOLOGRAM MAKES US DEBUT AT POLLSTAR AWARDS; VIDEO

RONNIE JAMES DIO Hologram Will Tour The World, Says Creator

RONNIE JAMES DIO HOLOGRAM TO START TOURING IN SEPTEMBER, SAYS WENDY DIO; AUDIO

WENDY DIO DISCUSS RONNIE JAMES DIO HOLOGRAM - “RONNIE WAS ALWAYS AN INNOVATOR IN HIS MUSIC, SO I THOUGHT WHY NOT BE AN INNOVATOR IN HIS TECHNOLOGY”; VIDEO

WENDY DIO – “RONNIE WAS ALWAYS FLOORED BY THE HOLOGRAMS IN DISNEYLAND”

RONNIE JAMES DIO - DIO RETURNS: THE WORLD TOUR TO KICK OFF IN FINLAND THIS NOVEMBER; HOLOGRAM TO PLAY MORE THAN 80 THEATRE SHOWS

dioreturnsjuly.jpg

ORIGINAL DIO GUITARIST VIVIAN CAMPBELL ON RONNIE JAMES DIO HOLOGRAM - “I HAVEN’T SEEN IT, SO I’M NOT GOING TO PASS JUDGEMENT ON IT”

KEYBOARDIST SCOTT WARREN THINKS RONNIE JAMES DIO WOULD APPROVE OF HOLOGRAM TOUR - “HE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE GONE DOWN TO THE STUDIO AND FILMED HIMSELF TO MAKE IT HAPPEN”; VIDEO

GUITARIST CRAIG GOLDY WEIGHS IN ON UPCOMING DIO RETURNS: THE WORLD TOUR - "THIS HOLOGRAM TOUR IS MEANT TO HONOR THE MAN AND HIS MUSIC"

Last edited:
That fan footage is okay but I'm not sold on the idea. I watched it out of interest too see what it was like but I certainly wont be going to see it live.

I know they are limited with what they can do but for me even after one song as I started to see all the repeated movements I began to lose interest in watching. It was good as a one off but that's it for me.

That fan footage is okay but I'm not sold on the idea. I watched it out of interest too see what it was like but I certainly wont be going to see it live.

I know they are limited with what they can do but for me even after one song as I started to see all the repeated movements I began to lose interest in watching. It was good as a one off but that's it for me.

Still less repetitive than Ozzy these days :)

RONNIE JAMES DIO - Details Revealed For Dio Returns 2019 US Tour Feat. Guest Vocalists TIM "RIPPER" OWENS And ONI LOGAN

"...The official band lineup will feature Craig Goldy on guitar, Simon Wright on drums, Scott Warren on keyboards, and newer Dio family member Bjorn Englen on bass. The show will also feature renowned metal vocalists Tim 'Ripper' Owens (Judas Priest, Yngwie Malmsteen) and Oni Logan (Lynch Mob)...."

May
31 - Ft. Myers, FL - Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall

June
1 - Orlando, FL - The Plaza Live
2 - St. Petersburg, FL - Palladium Theatre
3 - Atlanta, GA - Vinyl at Center Stage
6 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
7 - Glenside, PA - Keswick Theatre
8 - Asbury Park, NJ - Paramount Theatre
9 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount
11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore
12 - Grand Rapids, MI - 20 Monroe Live