Dio/Hammerfall/Kings X Live December 12th NYC

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I'm seeing them next Friday in NYC. Cannot wait - first time seeing them, and particularly excited about ol' Ronnie. (Hope he does some Rainbow stuff too).

Anyway, has anyone heard the new Hammerfall? How is it? To be honest, I couldn't stand Renegade....I don't listen to it all.

Anyone else from the US going to see this tour? :)

yeah i own the new hammerfall "grimson thunder" and i must say that if you did not like renegade im not sure you will like grimson thunder IMO it sounds a lot like renegade wich i like a lot and im still listening to it on a current basic but i dont konw depends on your taste :p
cheers

Have to say that I agree with you there Symphony. However if Hammerfall are looking to appeal to the younger audience with Crimson Thunder they seem to have succeeded as my 5 yr old daughter loves it and can be heard singing snatches frequently around the house!!

So Dio came into town last night with a blitzkrieg. This man is an institution to metal - I mean, lets not forget he invented the concept of "devil hands"!. \m/

His voice is as powerful as ever - he totally ruled. He played a varied set list since they were filming the show for his upcoming DVD and highlights included: Killing the Dragon, Holy Diver, Stand up and Shout, Rainbow in the Dark, Man on the Silver Mountain, Last in Line, We Rock...to name but a few.

:headbang:

Hammerfall were good too - perfect for an opening act to someone like Dio.

Kings X were beer and chat time - complete mismatch I'm afraid to the rest of the show...

JK.

Recovery includes ringing in the ears, and a little neck fatigue. And now the prospect of doing xmas shopping on a saturday afternoon is not looking good whatsoever....I think some mellow Simon and Garfunkel is in order for today.

Hey, I was at the show too. I was with my girlfriend and her best friend.

I think HammerFall's set was too short. They say it was a half hour but it only seemed like 20 minutes to me. I think they got completely ripped off. King's X, in my opinion, should not have been there. I don't like them at all. I don't feel that they're metal. Granted the vocalist can sing but they just didn't fit in. They weren't too over with the crowd either. HammerFall got a better and louder reaction then King's and there were less people when they played.

The funny part was when some of the fans started saying "Fuck you" to King's X and the vocalist was all "You know what, I love Dio, he's one of my favorite singers, but just because you guys yell "fuck you" at us doesn't mean we're going to stop playing. Dio wanted us here, blah blah blah, we suck, blah blah". But Dio was amazing. The camera was pointing in my direction too by the end of the show, who knows maybe my girlfriend and I will be on the DVD, haha. I'm gonna have to buy it when it comes out.

Originally posted by SinsOfTheFathers

The funny part was when some of the fans started saying "Fuck you" to King's X and the vocalist was all "You know what, I love Dio, he's one of my favorite singers, but just because you guys yell "fuck you" at us doesn't mean we're going to stop playing. Dio wanted us here, blah blah blah, we suck, blah blah".

You know, I didn't think Kings X fit into the line up and perhaps they should have thought twice about joining this tour (especially coming on after Hammerfall), but some metal fans can be such pricks when they do stuff like this. It takes a lot to grace the stage regardless of what music you play. Personally, I just hung out at the bar so I didn't hear all the abuse....oh well.

I agree - it should have just been Dio and Hammerfall, with Hammerfall on for at least 45 minutes.

One thing interesting was the range of people in the audience - just because of how long Dio has been around. It was really fun because in the crowd we were surrounded by rastafarians in Bob Marley t-shirts...and they sang along with every Dio song. Not a sight you see everyday, and it was brilliant. Traditional metal just transcends the genres....:headbang: