Dirk Verbeuren

I've never been really impressed with his drumming, and with all these people throwing his name around everywhere I'm just starting to think he's overrated.

EDIT: I might possibly be biased though because I can't stand Soilwork.

Have you checked out his work on Scarve's "Irradiant" and the Aborted stuff he played on ?

My fav. work of his is "The Panic Broadcast" by Soilwork, but i can stand Soilwork big time :)

Overrated?! You really have to know nothing about drumming to say something like that and I loathe anything Soilwork made after Chainheart Machine (which was played by Henry Ranta IIRC) so even that argument is invalid.
He objectively is extremely good.
Also I completely disagree with the comment saying he's playing mechanically. He's one of the very few metal drummers that can actually groove and include real creative dynamics in their playing.
Then again, I can understand the initial comment that he's not visually impressive but to me, that's a moot point.

Overrated?! (...)
Also I completely disagree with the comment saying he's playing mechanically. He's one of the very few metal drummers that can actually groove and include real creative dynamics in their playing.
Then again, I can understand the initial comment that he's not visually impressive but to me, that's a moot point.

This.

I get the "mecanic-sounding" thing though, but i think it has more to do with his drums tone on the album in played on (the Bergstrand/Toontrack tone he has) which is an acquired taste (i don't like it and i think it sounds dull). In that regard, i'm really happy with the new Loomis album where he has a real badass tone i like.

I think the "he makes his drumming seem easy" sums it all up. The guy doesn't try to be flashy, and is yet super tasteful and groovy and finesse-ful ("fine" ?) and can use technicity when needed.
To me he's like a young Gene Hoglan in terms of how extreme he can be, but staying on point with the song and without being too flashy. He's a huge Gene Hoglan fan btw.
And he played in a lot of different bands (Artsonic (French thrash/groove metal/progressive), Headline (progressive/heavy metal), Aborted, Yyrkoon (French brutal death), Soilwork, Devin Townsend Project, Jeff Loomis...).

Plus he wears that Suicidal Tendencies shirt all the time.

Overrated?! You really have to know nothing about drumming to say something like that and I loathe anything Soilwork made after Chainheart Machine (which was played by Henry Ranta IIRC) so even that argument is invalid.

Considering I play drums, I know a bit. I just don't see anything outside of stamina and technique, I don't think his approach is very special/out of the ordinary than most other extreme metal drummers.

Outside stamina and technique? So you're talking about what he plays and I'm talking about how good he is at what he does which is more important in my book, but yeah...
Not going to convince you anyway, am I?;)

Outside stamina and technique? So you're talking about what he plays and I'm talking about how good he is at what he does which is more important in my book, but yeah...
Not going to convince you anyway, am I?;)

When I think of great drummers, I think in terms of technique and creativity. Obviously he has the technique, I just don't see anything out of the normal metal drumming. And no, probably not ;)

Yeah, especially after seeing that video I came to this conclusion, I was frustrated not being completelly blown away by it while it's one of the sickets parts I've seen yet. I think I know what part you mean, it's near the end. (Cheeseburger I think?!)

Cheeseburger?!
Cheeseburger?!
Cheeseburger?!
PENIS!

:lol:

But seriously, the kick lines he did in Juular are insane.