"Dirty" Neo-Crust Mix (Fall Of Efrafa-esque, real Stuff + real Cello)

Man. Awesome. I clicked on the link and got smashed in my face. It still hurts, haha.
As for the mix: I love the kinda rough and dirty sound, the mix has to it. First thing I noticed is, that the vocals don't cut through the mix enough in some parts, volume-wise. Other little complaint is the snare. For my taste it needs a little more punch and a little less bottom mic, if you understand, what I mean..
Otherwise sick work, as always.

Thanks. Vocals aren't supposed to cut through very well. Check out Fall of Efrafa (Owsla) and other neo crust bands (Alpinist or something). Vocals are supposed to shout through the mix instead of beeing on top of it. About the snare: I think that's pretty much a matter of taste but I think it sounds great. It could have more punch but I would sacrifice the realness for that. The downsides of real drums :) It's augmented a litte... like 30% or something. I could compress the snare a tad more but that would bring up the hats. There is a lot of transient designer going on as well. Lot's of parallel and room compression. Have to be carefull there :)

well the band was allready complaining its not raw enough. Listen to stuff like Alpinist and Fall Of Efrafa and you know what I'm talking about. And I actually did a lot to make it sound raw :D

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds much better than the examples, I guess this is a problem :) only thing that came to my mind is to lower the drumset volume for the slow part

I actually like the "production" of both examples but that's the old punk in me. I tried to get a mix that sounds raw but modern. :) Band digs the mix so far!

I love it. And under/over-production like with everything else in music is matter of preferences and tastes, which evolve individually and collectively.

The band I'm in, Understory, is inspired by melodic crust/d-beat (think Morrow, Fall of Efrafra etc.) and contemporary doom (think Thou). We landed somewhere between in terms of production. It could be more raw, it could be heavier, but overall were happy with where it landed for our first effort. Thoughts?

https://understorymetal.bandcamp.com/releases