Discovering and appreciating new music

henrikmain said:
OK; so I created this thread mainly to pay homage :)p) and show my appreciation of the recommendations I've gotten from the RC crew.
Even as homage is being paid, spaffe's show of appreciation gets threadjacked...:loco:

We've been entirely too on-topic lately, today is Royal Carnage's'eses RETURN TO FORM.

NAD said:
We've been entirely too on-topic lately, today is Royal Carnage's'eses RETURN TO FORM.
Return to form....?

"Justice means nothing today,
now that the courts are for sale.
Pick a crime from the menu,
pick a sentence and a venue,
and bring the downpayment called bail!
THE SYSTEMS WILL FAIL!!
KICK THE CHAIR!!"

:kickass: x 1000

Machine Head + Megadeth = proper return to form
Metallica = TEH BIG STINKY LIE

Erik you need Peace Sells and Rust in Peace. I don't care if you hate everything from Countdown forward, you need these two albums or I shall taunt you a second time.

NAD said:
Machine Head + Megadeth = proper return to form
Metallica = TEH BIG STINKY LIE

Erik you need Peace Sells and Rust in Peace. I don't care if you hate everything from Countdown forward, you need these two albums or I shall taunt you a second time.
I keep listening to MP3's from them and every time I think:

1) He should stop trying to show off on the guitar and THRASH more
2) He should stop "singing"

Megadeth don't click with me so far.

spaffe said:
hm do you also confuse me with henrikmain? not that i post that much but the only similarity is really the colour of our avatars :p
No I was just trying to be un-funny.

Erik said:
1) He should stop trying to show off on the guitar and THRASH more
That's what I always mean by "speed metal" as opposed to "thrash". You are right, Megadeth do not 'thrash' - they never ever did. There is very little similarity between Megadeth and the rest of the Bay Area assault. 'Deth are pretty technical.

2) He should stop "singing"
Acquired taste, from what I understand. I never had an issue with his snarl.

Megadeth don't click with me so far.
Hmm, I really don't know what to recommend. Which songs have you listened to so far? "Wake Up Dead" or the instrumental "Set the World Afire" might be your cuppatea.

Holy Wars would have go be my favorite Megadeth. If you really start to like / love that one, definitely pick up Rust in Peace. Try uhhh.... try Devil's Island from Peace Sells, that may be your thing.

Personally I've always liked Mustaine's voice. It's not his best asset obviously, but it's cool. That part in Holy Wars toward the end where he yells "fill the cracks in.... with judicial granite..." oh man, just gave me the chills thinking of it. :kickass:

Erik said:
"Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" (which is the winnar so far), "Hangar 18"
Playing those songs on the guitar are cool too. Rust in Peace is like a great "how to" guide when it comes to riff frenzy. The main verse riff in Holy Wars is just astounding. I'm always impressed when people like Mustaine command the riffs like that, and sing at the same time at a completely different structure/tempo. Actually, I'm impressed when anyone who plays technically can sing simultaneously - like that dude in Pain of Salvation. Geez, he's all over the fretboard and singing something totally different.

"What do you mean I don't believe in God?? I talk to him everyday...". Greatest bass line intro ever.

Peace Sells is a fucking great album :cool: I will add my voice to the peer pressure!
Mustaine's snarl is cool...can amuse me at times. Funniest bit is the way he says "Mastermind" on Cryptic Writings. That just amuses me for some reason.

I only got 27.27272727272727% on that second test. Dude.