Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Disgorge – Parallels of Infinite Torture
Crash Music Inc. – CMU 61141 – May 17, 2005
By Josh Phillips

parallels.gif

Returning in 2005 to unleash their 4th album of American Death Metal are Californians Disgorge. Now with a new vocalist in Levi Fusilier and a strong line-up, including band co-founder Ricky Myers on drums, the band is dead-set on expanding their fan base while doing exactly what they do best.

Disgorge exists for one reason, to make the most brutal music they can conjure up. This comes as both a great thing and a bad thing, depending on what kind of a music listener you are and what mood you’re in. This is no frills, no variation, nothing but exhausting, pounding, relentless Death Metal. Nothing innovative or ground-breaking here, just quality hellish, fast-paced riffing, skin pounding, gut curdling music. Turn away if today is the day you feel like picking flowers or if you simply can’t tolerate the non-stop (some might say monotonous) barrage.

Fortunately for me, I find that monotony to be a good thing. Parallels of Infinite Torture is just like one huge 40-minute barrage of hell, exactly what brutal death metal is all about. Levi Fuselier unleashes his low, belching vocals over a torrent of dicing, heavy riffs and the erratic, bashing drumming you’d expect from the genre. If you’re any fan of the brutal stuff, you know exactly what you’re getting here. In some ways, Disgorge remind me of fellow California boys Sepsism, but with less grinding breakdowns and groove-based rhythms that said band showcases in such songs as “Concealed in Flesh.” Regardless, those moments can be found occasionally in tracks like main highlight “Atonement.” But, don’t be fooled, the latest album by Disgorge is one where the songs all sound mostly the same. The material here is quality, it’s just a matter of whether or not you’ll be able to enjoy the entire 40 minutes, and if not, if it’s worth it to shell out 13 bucks for a small amount of music you may be able to enjoy.

Personally, I enjoy the album thoroughly from beginning to end, as there is something about brutal death metal that has me completely hooked, and Disgorge is the perfect band to settle a craving for insane extreme music. I’ll re-iterate that there isn’t anything ground-breaking here, it’s just pure quality Death Metal, and I’ll gladly take it.

8/10

Official Disgorge Website (Samples available)
Official Crash Music Inc. Website

this album is goddamn sick. there's so many brutal death bands out now with out of time blasts, and sloppy double bass. disgorge perfectly execute the timing, which is what makes this album so great. personally, i'd give 'paralells' a 9/10.