__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Disillusion - Back To Times of Splendor
Metal Blade - 3984-14456-2 - April 5 2004
By Aleksandr Revzin

disillusion.jpg

Progressive music these days is a genre divided in two. On one side is a majority whose sole concern seems to be showing off how many notes can be played in one minute, instead of a focus on writing good songs. Thus, they create boring, fetid heaps of arpeggioed crap (excuse my language). On the other side are those few bands that have the songwriting abilities to incorporate advanced musicianship, while crafting songs that never let your attention waver. With their debut, titled Back To Times Of Splendor, German band Disillusion join the ranks of this few.

Disillusion craft a mix of NWSDM, thrash, progressive metal, and occasional black metal flourishes, that grabs you by the throat and screams, “ LISTEN TO ME PUNY WRETCH!” Consisting of 6 tracks and running to almost an hour, the album goes through shifting landscapes, but remains stunningly fluid in execution. Parts that beg comparisons to Dimmu Borgir nest alongside beautifully layered guitar harmonies, and those rest next to gentle acoustic guitar or piano passages. Subtle keys top this, as well as string arrangements that manage to meld very well with the music. However, at times the band allow orchestral elements to drip into cheesy Hollywood movie soundtrack domain. Examples would be the beginning of the title track, which fortunately they kick into high gear 30 seconds in. On another occasion, final cut “The Sleep Of Restless Hours” at around 10:30- 11:15, they allow themselves to get into a very average section bordering on one of the most annoying tendencies of power metal - a pseudo-epic sentimentality. Fortunately since the song is 17:02 minutes long they have plenty of time to end the album on a high note, and they succeed, bringing in a stunning extended instrumental section.

Singer Vurtox has a very strong and confident clean singing style that reminds me a bit of Geoff Tate. Note to all you power metal vocalists: it’s a good thing to sing instead of trying to hit every high note you can. Anyway, Vurtox also uses a very typical sounding NWSDM style death metal vocal. Really effective only when used to emphasize certain parts like the heavy as hell shift at minute 11:00 of the title track.

The few problems aside Disillusion have crafted an amazingly strong debut that I predict I will still be playing a month from now.

8/10

Official Disillusion website
Official Metal Blade Records website

Back To Times of Splendor is one of the best releases by any band any genre overall. Some people compare this band to Opeth, they are not Opeth part II. This guys from Germany are original, this album take months and the final result is an amazing piece of metal history.

One of the best releases this year for sure.

I share the communis opinio concerning that album, which says it's great and partly very subtle. I haven't completely understood it yet, but I think efforts in that direction wouldn't be wrong and will surely be made.
I'm also looking forward to hearing more from this band. At Summerbreeze '04, Germany, they played almost the whole first album with a set of at least six musicians, so a live performance was at all possible. Pretty great.

np: Nokturnal Mortum - Novaja Era Mechej