Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
DISSECTION - LIVE LEGACY
Nuclear Blast - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

NB_0650.jpg

Dissection is a band that needs no introduction, as one of the leading melodic black metal bands of the mid-90's, Dissection and especially Jon Nödtveidt has gained a strong following years after their last studio album Storm of the Light's Bane was released in 1995. With Jon's impending release from prison next year (for the details of that there are plenty of websites that will fill you up on this story) it is the perfect time to get interest growing in the band when a new album is released in 2004.

How else would you get that interest growing? The answer is quite simple: release a live album of the band and as the name implies Live Legacy is just that. Originally available as the bootleg titled Frozen in Wacken, Nuclear Blast has officially released Dissection's performance from the 1997 Wacken Open Air Festival. That bootleg included eight songs but this version will feature another recording of "Night's Blood" which was not included in the version I got as well as a cover of Tormentor's "Elizabeth Bathori".

So you may ask yourself, if Live Legacy is a bootleg recording how is the quality? Let me answer by saying that this bootleg recording puts to shame plenty of planned live albums. The sound is raw, all the instruments are heard well and the quality is just excellent. This definitely is one of the best live albums of the past two years. The only problem might be the lack of crowd interaction during the song themselves but they are clearly heard before and after the songs.

Since this performance occurred during the tour in support of Storm of the Light's Bane, the majority of the tracks come from that album. The dark intro "At the Fathomless Depths", the furious "Retribution-Storm of the Light's Bane", the eight-minute epic "Thorns of Crimson Death", the mesmerizing and passionate "Where Dead Angels Lie" and the unforgettable and amazing "Unhallowed". Rounding it out are the razor-sharp "Frozen" and the classic "The Somberlain". The performances are flawless and hearing these live renditions is just simply awesome and it may be as close as a live setting I will ever get to the real thing. Highly recommended.

Nuclear Blast Website

"Live Legacy" is very poor album, sounds like fuckin' studio recording. i have fun when i heard 3 or 4 guitars and double vocals. mastering? no, just Emil recorded some guitars parts and NBR taken vocals parts from orginal tapes... poor bastards!
anyway, box is worthy get, because "Gods Of Darkness" CD and DVD are amazing! it's TRUE DISSECTION, not this studio cheat "Live Legacy"

Bah, I listened to this once. Something with LEGACY in its title should be more than just one short set.

I was fortunate enough to see Dissection live many years ago, this disc doens't really capture their essence.