Distortion pedals for black metal

MightyDrynwhyl

Funeral doom is my life
i was wondering if anybody knows what kind of pedal would be good to get a Burzum/Mayhem/Ildjarn type of sound. i have the boss metalzone but it doesnt sound good. i also have an ibanez smashbox pedal which, believe it or not, appears to be great for that sort of thing. i want to get that sort of far away burzum tone on the s/t album

I would be surprised if the Burzum S/T has anything other than amp distortion. What amp that would be beats me though... I don't see that that record has a very special distortion sound at all.

I dont think Varg used alot of advanced equipment for his work in Burzum either, and like Erik said before me, he probably used nothing else than the amp distortion.

Also, I don't think what pedal you use would make much difference, because usually you can create your own sounds.

I think what your after is just trebly amp distortion.

You need tons of reverb for a Burzum guitar tone. It basically sounds to me like a cranked semi-higain Marshall miced up in a bathroom. The far-away aspect of the tone comes from a lot of weird reflections and reverberations.

the metal zone works for some really pure black metal, it worked for Ulver on Nattens, hah.

hey Yabba <--- Megadeth from HC

MightyDrynwhyl said:
i was wondering if anybody knows what kind of pedal would be good to get a Burzum/Mayhem/Ildjarn type of sound. i have the boss metalzone but it doesnt sound good. i also have an ibanez smashbox pedal which, believe it or not, appears to be great for that sort of thing. i want to get that sort of far away burzum tone on the s/t album

Hmmm..... good luck. I have been trying to duplicate Wolf Hoffman's "Metal Heart" sound for twenty years. >:p~ Seriously though..... I don't know this band at all, but your amp will dictate more of your tonality than your distortion pedal. If these bands use tube overdrive (distortion,) it's impossible to duplicate with electronics, but one thing you might wantto try is an EQ. some amps have better EQs han others and a multi-effect unit with a good EQ or a stand alone unit can probably get you closer to their sound than a particular type of distortion.

Bryant

MightyDrynwhyl said:

throw those pedals away

you need a DOD FX86b

though when u plug it in and play, your parents will commit suicide
and
your neighbours will die in a freak yachting accident.