Divina Enema reviews (old)

Christopher

blunt fanfare trauma
Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
I've never heard these guys before, but I remembered having read a few reviews at one time for their past record, so it was a surprise to me to see that Code666 had picked them up. Anyway, all of the reviews I have come across have been tepid if not worse, but this one is probably the funniest of them all.
No offense to the band or Emi for signing them, I'm sure they're interesting,hell I just bought this album that I'm about to link, but it seems that the majority of the metal community are on the side of this reviewer.

http://www.metalreview.com/viewreview.aspx?ID=684

...okay, I've recieved the album mentioned in that link in the mail a few days ago, and while it's a lot to take in at once, I find that's it's pretty interesting stuff. It reminds me a bit of mid era Korova, i.e. the Dead Like an Angel album, only slightly less willing for weirdness. It's still very bizarre stuff, and it clocks in at about 70 minutes, so if you dig this kind of manic, avant metal, this is probably a good band to look into.

I will however, agree with that reviewers dismay at the vocals.
They're delivered ina very faux operatic kind of way, only it's quite dissonant due to chronic tunelessness, like some guy attempting to sing Simen's vocal parts from La Masquerade Infernal in the shower. And to reference that classic record again, ther vocals really sound like the very first words you hear on that record, when a distant voice starts singing the line "This profanity in sancticty's guise..." . It's a very over the top delivery, but they really end up detracting from the music rather than improving upon it. You either get used to them quick and zone them out, or you won't get through half the cd before pulling it out. If it's on purpose, then kudos to them for causing entertainment and discomfort all at once. If not, then at least find someone capable of singing in that style, or at all.

I hope these guys iron out the weaknesses before they record their debut for Code666, and if they do, it should certainly be a more engaging listen.

;)