circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Divine Empire – Method of Execution
Crash Music Inc. – CMU61161 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

divineempire.jpg

Yep, I suppose Divine Empire are fit to be a band. We’ve got lots of well-played death metal, the lyrics center on the typical themes/subjects, there are connections to other groups (Malevolent Creation to be specific), there’s a smidge of controversy surrounding the trio (Jason Blachowicz kicked out every member at one point) – how much time do you have? I could go on all day. At any rate, in spite of the drawbacks, Method of Execution is exemplary in many respects, though it will be overshadowed by several of its cronies.

When I first tuned in to Method of Execution, I thought I was listening to a heavier version of Strapping Young Lad, because “Vowed Revenge” lifts the keyboards right out of SYL, clones the instrumentation, and straps more brutal vocals to its person. The comparison ends there, though, as Divine Empire transition from nuance to nuance continuously. Was that a request for an equable string interlude I heard just now? Check out “Prelude to the Storm,” and become cultured instantaneously. Then, grab a beer and immediately head into the virtual moshpit that is “Storm of Hatred.” Lose 50 I.Q. points, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. Still, the melodic leads, which are baked into the center of the song, are reminiscent of pre-1991 Metallica and a cheerier Agalloch, respectively. Nonetheless, the brutality doesn’t loosen its hold for long. “Incarcerated” is a prime example of applause-worthy death/thrash. The rhythms are representative of Kataklysm – sans the frivolity – and “Impervious Deception” sounds more like black/thrash than anything, perhaps akin to 1349. At a whopping hour, Method of Execution has a bevy of material, and all of it successfully welds ominous brutality to indefatigable musicianship. The production isn’t perfect, of course, but it received a green light from me.

As stated, Divine Empire have conceived a powerful full-length, which just so happens to be their fourth, and Method of Execution will satiate death/thrash aficionados. This manages to make it to the upper echelons of the second-tier, but with all the flashier competition out there, I’m afraid this will be passed over completely. If you’ve got an extra wad of cash (search under the couch cushions if you don’t), then contemplate a purchase.

7.5/10

Official Divine Empire Website
Official Crash Music Inc. Website

Great straight up death metal with enough flavor to keep your interest up. Their best album ever and a real sleeper.:worship:

Dr. Abner Mality said:
Great straight up death metal with enough flavor to keep your interest up. Their best album ever and a real sleeper.:worship:

Definitely. A lot of people will ignore this, but shouldn't. Still, this isn't quite up to snuff with numerous albums released this year. :Spin: