DIVINE EVE Issue Studio Update

C

Chaosmönger

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/123215 :

Recently reformed Texas death metal veterans DIVINE EVE have issued the following update:

"As writhing flames whisper to the darkness, winds of chaos fade into the abyss... Divine Eve is very eager to declare the 4 song EP is in it's final stages of completion. The title, Vengeful And Obstinate, is a fitting banner to raise proudly above our first recordings in over 14 years. Divine Eve continues to be encouraged and inspired by the extremely positive support from the underground extreme metal music scene! We strongly HAIL those loyal followers of Divine Eve's long over due reformation and legacy. More news to come about soon to be available release formats, as well as song samples.

Ride the wings of Armageddon!"

Vengeful And Obstinate will be available via Ibex Moon Records later this year.

Divine Eve is:

Michael Sleavin - Rhythm Guitar & Vocals
Xan Hammack - Lead Guitar & Vocals
Matt Killen - Drums & Backing Vocals

More on Divine Eve at this location: http://www.myspace.com/divineeve2008

Nobody cares about Divine Eve here except me. To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out why you joined this forum. You said you've lurked a bit before joining, did you not notice how much this place sucks?

Well yeah, there are a few people here who actually know about music. But whatever, I should stick to the topic.

I've honestly been really excited for a release like this since the band announced that they were reuniting. I consider Divine Eve to be among the best death metal bands of all time who were not pioneers in the genre. Crimson Relic was also excellent, but could not match the foreboding atmosphere of Divine Eve, as evident in the few songs that both bands recorded. The Divine Eve versions are clearly more powerful, heavy, and emotive.

No, what I proved is my awareness that most of the people who post in GMD have shit taste in music. Now run along midget.

you guys are insecure. i don't think he's being serious, but he seems to like making subtle comments to rile people up. Anyway, i look forward to hearing new Divine Eve material. Their Ep is excellent celtic frost influenced metal.

Wow, I had no idea a post about an upcoming Divine Eve release would cause so much commotion here.

Blame me. Whatever, I'm over it, now it's time for V5 to get over it.

In compensation, here is what I wrote about Divine Eve in an article that will be published in The Heretic's Torch whenever we get off our asses to finish it.

Unlike the other bands mentioned, Divine Eve is the brainchild of the evolutionary reformation of the genre, having formed only in 1992, and the band members’ collective involvement within the death metal scene surely not extending much beyond that. They were, however, inspired and motivated individuals, a part of the burgeoning Texas metal scene. Equitant of Absu designed their logo, for example, and Proscriptor released a compilation of all of their professionally recorded material in 2007. Despite not playing a notable role in the development of the genre as the bands previously mentioned had, however, Divine Eve managed to capture in their music something arcane and beautiful, working from the very beginnings in Celtic Frost and kneading out a triumphant new vision which is at the same time reminiscent of the past as well as triumphantly new. Though shortlived and somewhat of a late arrival, Divine Eve accomplished what few later bands managed to do, and that is to extend the vocabulary of the genre while remaining true to its essential form.

As a band formed in the early 1990s, Divine Eve was receptive to influences that bands such as Master and Hellwitch, who had a steadfast vision already well in place, were not recipient of. Aside from the abundantly obvious Celtic Frost influence, then, from which their primary musical textbook derives, one can trace the influences of early Cathedral and Entombed as well as Venom, Bathory, and Sodom.

Imagistic in nature, the band strives to capture in their lyrics the same aura as that captured by their choice of cover artwork, namely the work of Hieronymus Bosch for their lone EP, As the Angels Weep. “A Somber Blossoming (Soulsflight)”, for example, follows the path of a soul led by some anonymous being showing to this soul the world that he, as a “child of god,” cannot see through his “mind obscured by an unseen haze.” He tells this soul to “marvel at the gardens of desire, as you are taught to pass them by.” He says to “blaspheme the righteous and then in hell you’ll burn,” that “at the end of this life now [is the time] to purify,” to “observe the past and pitifully cry. Your life flows from your body as you look to the sky. Take your last breath and your soul will fly.”

It is not simply their lyrics which paint a portrait for the other senses to see, however. Compositionally, Divine Eve’s songwriting is also heavily focused on the creation of sonic visions, creating an atmosphere through which both reflection and resurrection are achieved. Combining the lessons learned from Celtic Frost and incorporating them into the intensely straightforward narrative structure of early Scandinavian death metal, enlightened by the extreme doom ornamentation of Cathedral’s Forest of Equilibrium, the music is one of contrast and juxtaposition, utilizing the primitive and barbaric fast paced Celtic Frost/Nihilist death metal riffs as a counterpoint to the slow, evocative harmonic passages which open up the listener’s mind to reflection and to the visions stimulated by what has come before, and at times foreshadowing what is to come after. This is indicative of the band’s craft as a whole. Throughout their endeavors resonates a sense of longing for an ancient spirit, a distant enigma that they had never possessed, only glimpsed. This reflects not only their interest in ancient times and traditions, but also their place in the history of death metal. It is perhaps the case that they feel they came on too late and long for the time that had come before them, and they try to capture both that time and the sense of longing in their music.

Divine Eve went on to record a three song promo tape, but split up in 1994. The project Crimson Relic was unearthed in 1995 which was an extension of Divine Eve including Xan Hammack, who produced but did not play on the EP, and Rhett Davis of Morgion after the former moved to California. Included on Crimson Eve’s Purgatory’s Reign are many songs which would have become the debut Divine Eve full-length album. As evidenced by the few overlapping recordings, however, Crimson Relic could hardly capture the same atmosphere of the Divine Eve line-up. In 2008, Divine Eve is resurrected. Whether or not they continue their legacy is yet to be seen. While in their ultimate creative period, however, the band provided the death metal enthusiast with an interesting look into the way that a niche sound could be developed and expanded upon, and perhaps could have even been worthy of influencing other bands to at the very least take the same course. They showed how expanding the vocabulary could be done successfully, and for that they deserve to be mentioned here along with the others.