Divine Heresy

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Loving this album/mix a hell of a lot!

Especially the drum mix, any ideas how do get the clarity of the kick similar to DH + with the overall punch of the whole drumkit without being overbearing? Usually I can get a nice kick sound but once its with the bass/guitars only the top end click cuts through. Im really just after the in your face cutting punch like these tracks. I really dont want to boost a load of high end to make things thin so some advice for this kinda sound would be greattt.

Also, whats your thoughts on clear cutting overheads. Im using DFHS, using compression brings out the ride more but I find the ambience side of it overbearing sometimes and prefer the clear attack of overheads that havent been compressed. Any ideas (helpful EQ, other plugins?)

Weird sounding questions but you get the just of it! :kickass:

:kickass:

I'm going to have to ask Dino when they play, honestly... but I hear rumors that they might have used a certain set of samples that come in handy here and there...

Jeff

Who recorded and mixed the album?

Yea last i seen they kicked the singer out and were looking for a replacement. I def need to buy this album though. Ive only heard 2 songs from it but i love them both.

Also, whats your thoughts on clear cutting overheads. Im using DFHS, using compression brings out the ride more but I find the ambience side of it overbearing sometimes and prefer the clear attack of overheads that havent been compressed. Any ideas (helpful EQ, other plugins?)

Weird sounding questions but you get the just of it! :kickass:

:kickass:

I dont know anything about Divine Heresy, but the easiest way to bring out the ride without compressing the OH in DFHS is to reduce the volume of all the cymbals except for the ride in the OH mic channel. Voila. Insta-crisp-ride :)

Who recorded and mixed the album?

Yea last i seen they kicked the singer out and were looking for a replacement. I def need to buy this album though. Ive only heard 2 songs from it but i love them both.

Logan Mader, the guy is really talented IMHO!
I knew him because of machine head, but listening to the other stuff he recorded I can say he really knows how to bring the personality of a band up ;)

Thanks Kaomao for the info. Yea i definitely like what i heard on myspace and i can only imagine the cd sounds phenomenal.

Yeah the CD sounds fucking killer. "This Threat Is Real" and "Impossible is Nothing" are mind blowing. Tim is the man!

Ill give that a go Smy1, im sure I dipped those faders in the past and it didnt really make any difference, but ill have another shot at it.

You might like their new vocalist a bit more. Harsher, adds some grit to the melodic parts where it fits, generally just works really well with the band.

Jeff

I really liked the instrumentals they posted in the beginning on their myspace.
Then later I heard it with vocals...wow that was one huge disappointment!

Yeah I know what you mean dude, the vocals didnt exactly improve it in my eyes but ive kinda got used to it. Not that that ever stops me whacking the jam session for "Impossible is nothing" on :p

You might like their new vocalist a bit more. Harsher, adds some grit to the melodic parts where it fits, generally just works really well with the band.

Jeff

Ahh didnt realise they have found a replacement already, sweet!

I just saw him a couple of nights ago. He was doing a lot better than he was in the videos, and Dino (the only one I talked to much) seemed happy with him.

Jeff