Division of Death - No Life Here

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Division of Death - No Life Here
Nelly Records - 2005
By George Grant

Division.jpg

The noise genre is the very antithesis of the commonly review music on this site. It takes a very unique experience and understanding to be able to dive into the music. Gone are the melodic hooks and steady rhythms expected by the common listener. This isn’t music that one can easily follow with a tapping foot. Division of Death has crafted on their album, No Life Here, a hollow empty and decaying building for their ambience and noise to filter through.

Since this is not a basic album, there is no way I could construct a common review. These songs are not meant to be divided into individual songs, but rather an experience taken as a whole. Division of Death’s strength lies in its ability to blend sound effects together into a coherent place. Very easily sound effects can be haphazardly strewn together almost giving away the splicing of sound files by the artist. On No Life Here the sounds all sit inside a deep and echoed world. This achieves the empty and solitary experience as suggested by the title. With this, it’s easy to picture the industrial sounds filtering through a large factory as you traverse the area alone.

Surprisingly, there was a small element of melody in the album. Division of Death has hidden deep beneath the chaotic samples synth accents that will help listeners not accustomed to the noise scene have a basic element to grasp onto throughout the experience. However, do not mistake this as a constant element of Division of Death. Noise still reigns supreme in their creative outlet.

Overall, the best way to describe No Life Here is that it is an experience. For some the noise scene is just that; noise. While for others they find a specific element that appeal to them. I was able to approach this release with an open mind and in doing so I found a unique and rewarding experience through No Life Here. I suggest that people interested in the noise scene do the same as this could be the spark that ignites an interesting journey.

Official Division of Death Myspace