DIY 2x12 wood ideas

elapidae1

Jul 4, 2009
Ok as the title suggests, i am interested in making a 2x12 cab. It will have v30's in it and bassed on the MB roadster. But i was wondering about differnt woods to use.
There is typical birch, but what else yields good results...
Pine, mdf... you get the idea.

Also should i insulate the cab or not?

there is also… BIRCH 13 ply… it sounds awesome!!! hahaha

I think the most important thing of a home made cabinet is the body construction… try to do an accurate job there and all will be fine.

The cab isnt for transport. Just home studio/practise.

Im interested in hearing ppl experience with recording different box woods.

Baltic Birch is what mesa use iirc? Do not insulate it, resonating inside the cab is a good thing. If the seal is good and solid it'll sound good.

Couple notes already mentioned but I will elaborate.

-I would use solid wood, Poplar is what Krank uses, but Oak is fucking badass as well. Since I have not really gotten time to play around with a Krank cab, I would probably swing Oak, but that's just me.
-If weight and cost are an issue, 13-ply Baltic birch is good. Won't be as resonant as the solid wood but is still good.
-Even though resonance in the cabinet is a good thing, a small layer of rock wool density felt or the likes of on the backboard help tremendously with standing waves without killing tone (most higher end expensive cabinets use this practice).

I don't think you'll have much issue with standing waves in a closed cab of that small a depth.

I'm in the same boat as you for a 2x12 build. I have all pieces cut and speaker holes routed, I'm just waiting on a jig for the box joints. I haven't been able to find any consistent answer on how wood will affect the tone of the cab. It all seems to come down to cork sniffing and opinion rather than any definite characteristic for the wood. As far as I can tell it has more to do with volume and the speakers you use than the enclosure material.

To make things even more complicated, consider combos as well.

Birch to me is sort of the standard. I like poplar due to the lighter weight, but I like the tone for birch. Many of the well recorded cabs are all birch. The only cabs I have used that were Poplar are Carvin cabs. Good cabs, but I like Mesa's and ENGL's more. Bracing, sealing, insulation all play big roles.

Pine was used in older fenders and Budda uses pine. Very thick tone.

I have an Earcandy 1x12 that has a Birch Shell with Mahogany front and back (I think it is the standard now). That cab rocks! Sweet sounding with any speaker I have put in it. I have another with a pine shell/birch cab and the mids are thick and cut like knives. Could be construction and porting also, no insulation.

MDF I would assume you would hear more of the speaker and less of the cab. They are common in HiFi speakers. Unfortunately they are often used in cheap cabs with cheap ass speakers. Since they don't hold up to moving and are heavy as hell, they are poorly regarded. I would be interested in hearing them as a guitar studio cab though with nice speakers, good jointing, and bracing... hmm... maybe a weekend project.

Maybe i should start with an MDF one and see how it goes. Then do a birch/oak or poplar one to see the difference.
I am very interested in how different they may sound.