Djent/Hardcore mix - opinions wanted??

foundations

Jul 6, 2010
hey, i didnt mix/record this myself it was recorded in studio 6 in swindon uk with my band districts, have a listen to the mix and tell me what you think of it so i can get some outside feedback about the mix

add us up on facebook or myspace www.myspace.com/districtsuk
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee76wVHWSEo&feature=recentlik[/ame]

i fucking like the sound you're going for, for lack of better terms: a little hardcore, a little djent, and i can definitely taste some metalcore in there. the mix is boss as well soonnn.

I like the sound and all but your band shouts Volumes like all over, especially this song: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhaPdDLpuvo&feature=related[/ame]

More originality would be cool but yea, still a good song.

Hey,
It has a metalcore style of production to me, the drums shout it especially. I like a little more treble in mixes, and more cymbal, to let the music open out a touch more especially on those chords in the chorus. The production sounds quite like a mix by someone like Bulb, and that's no bad thing, I'm not slamming you I like the music, it's just that once you've got a full band, rather than PODs and drum machines, you CAN do something a bit more organic if you like. You're a heavy band for sure, but you're not Meshuggah, you don't need to be in that beyond brutal production area, and production can have a huge effect on how people find a band, on how you're perceived.
I fucking love the snare sound, it's massive. The guitars sound good, seem to have the classic low-mid frequency cut to give them that planet-sized sound. Can't hear the bass on my tiny speakers. Whoever mixed this clearly knows what they're doing, what are the lyrics? It's hard to tell whether the production really matches up with the music, for me, without knowing what the subject matter is. If it's grim subject matter, then job done, the mix is big, confrontational and grimy. I wonder whether the guitar tone changes slightly in the course of the song- to me the first half of the song the guitars sound clearer than from the first chorus on! This might be me being hypersensitive/imagining things.
Please feel free to check our new song Grinding Down The Sun in my link and give me some feedback on it as a track and as a production. Unfortunately it was done with drum machine and PODs, but this is the last one we're doing like that, as we've been a full band for a while.
Do you want feedback on the song itself? Anyway, the production is good, I'd be happy.

This is absolutely amazing, I agree with FPS, the snare is nice--guitars are wonderful too the larger than life low-mid freq.. overall great work vocalist is talented too.

yeah it sounds like Structures, Volumes and such bands, i think you could stand out if you added something new to the style.
but nice mix dude, i dig it, even though it seems a bit muddy, maybe because it's youtube quality

Dudes, listen to Volumes - Through The Trees and then Districts - Heroin City, the structure of the song and riffs are ALMOST IDENTICAL, it's not funny... :ill:

Hey,
It has a metalcore style of production to me, the drums shout it especially. I like a little more treble in mixes, and more cymbal, to let the music open out a touch more especially on those chords in the chorus. The production sounds quite like a mix by someone like Bulb, and that's no bad thing, I'm not slamming you I like the music, it's just that once you've got a full band, rather than PODs and drum machines, you CAN do something a bit more organic if you like. You're a heavy band for sure, but you're not Meshuggah, you don't need to be in that beyond brutal production area, and production can have a huge effect on how people find a band, on how you're perceived.
I fucking love the snare sound, it's massive. The guitars sound good, seem to have the classic low-mid frequency cut to give them that planet-sized sound. Can't hear the bass on my tiny speakers. Whoever mixed this clearly knows what they're doing, what are the lyrics? It's hard to tell whether the production really matches up with the music, for me, without knowing what the subject matter is. If it's grim subject matter, then job done, the mix is big, confrontational and grimy. I wonder whether the guitar tone changes slightly in the course of the song- to me the first half of the song the guitars sound clearer than from the first chorus on! This might be me being hypersensitive/imagining things.
Please feel free to check our new song Grinding Down The Sun in my link and give me some feedback on it as a track and as a production. Unfortunately it was done with drum machine and PODs, but this is the last one we're doing like that, as we've been a full band for a while.
Do you want feedback on the song itself? Anyway, the production is good, I'd be happy.

ye some feedback on the song aswel would be cool