Djent/Tech Metal influenced album made only with a bass guitar....

TROGDOR THE BURNINATOR

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2010
Djent/Tech Metal influenced album made only with a bass guitar....

From GotDjent.com:

"This 5 track EP is called 'Drum & Bass' because I have used my bass guitar for everything i.e. using guitar amps and fx on bass. I set myself a challenge of creating a dynamically heavy EP without touching a electric guitar once. There are no other instruments or samples here other than my bass playing and a drum kit." The EP is available for purchase from his website. Moreover, he has uploaded a solo bass playthrough video for the song 'Small Phoneix', along with a music video for the song 'Transients'. Watch them below.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the new sound; it's hip, it's cool and the kids love it. Deathcore is like SO five minutes ago compared to this.

What the fuck is djent anyway.....I've been hearing this word only recently.

"Djent is a style of Progressive Metal with atypical rhythmic structures, angular melodies, and dissonant chords. Typical traits of the sound include groovy polyrhythms (often four-over-three), cycling patterns of varying length with more unusual time signatures, a sporadic and relatively sparse use of snare, slashing use of cymbals, and both heavy and psychedelic cleanly played riffs that are highly repetitive; all usually interplayed with a high level of technicality. Sometimes it borrows elements from Mathcore (Post-Hardcore-style vocals) but is basically very different and much heavier. Djent leans more on loose Alternative Metal-resembling riffs and a massive atmosphere similar to Progressive Death Metal and on other modern extreme metal, like traditional Death Metal riffs, not on a fast and more straight-forward Hardcore Punk approach like in Mathcore. Although there are guitar influences from Math Rock, Math Rock has usually more furious drum patterns. The word "djent" is an onomatopoeia for the distinctive high-gain, distorted palm-muted guitar technique frequently associated with the genre's music. Textures, TesseracT, Xerath and most notably Meshuggah are good examples of pioneers of the Djent genre. "

Bands like Chimp Spanners and Animals as Leaders fucking rules, every other band Ive heard in the "genre" are worthless for the most parts. Ive still not checked out too many "djent" bands yet though. It also feels like most of the bands are instrumental only, which is a good thing. But just call it progressive metal, thats what it is!!!!

However Andy's stuff is not Djent this is something different influenced by that movement and metal in general.

Fair enough it may appear as wankery on the bass, but I think he has developed something new here.

Textures are so far beyond "djent" that it's not even fucking funny at all, and their last album wasn't even that awesome.

I like the Andy Saxton stuff. I will check it out more throughoutly. I never heard Animals as Leaders before either and that song that was posted above rules. Gonna look into them as well. :)

This is Andy's second release - he has also made a 13 Track album with electric guitar with no Djent in sight! fuck labels anyway, I love what he is doing and has done, I just wish this album (preview below) was on iTunes too