Do bands who tour the USA constantly have a place in Prog Power?

Angrafan

Feb 26, 2002
South Florida
Visit site
What do you think?

I am all for it. Prog Power has given a lot of bands the oportunity to debut in the US, and that's awesome. It's what the festival is famous for and I hope it continues to do so.

But I think it has reached a level that great bands who tour the us in a regular basis could gain a slot or two as well...

Savatage for example. They are the band I've seen the most times live. I've seen them in different states, different countries, in festivals, i saw CircleIICircle 3 times, Jon Oliva solo, criss oliva memorial concert... and still, they are the band I want to see the most at prog power V. And the "reunion" thing is just a bonus, I'd be just as happy if it was a regular Savatage show...

AS long as the line-up is as good, I don't care...

Well sure, you're from Florida...obviously you've seen Savatage and C2C a lot, or at least had the opportunity. You guys on the East Coast have to remember that a lot of these bands that "tour the US" usually do up and down the East Coast, a few of the larger Midwest cities and MAYBE hop over to the West Coast. Unless they've really got their shit together with promoters and are willing to sacrifice financially in order to increase exposure, they don't necessarily do thorough US tours.

When I saw Savatage last (with Fates on the Poets & Madmen tour), they hadn't been to Texas in 10 years. They knew it, they recognized it, they apologized for it, and they fucking rocked the house (all 300 of us).

So, when I see these posts about bands like Nevermore, Iced Earth, Savatage, Sym X, and how they always "tour the US," I just shake my head...cuz they don't make it everywhere.

So, hell yeah...as long as the line-up is good, bring on the Euro bands that never (and maybe never will) come to these shores, and bring the worthwhile US bands as well, in order to give them the exposure they deserve.

I think it depends on the band. Someone like say, Dream Theater, wouldn't be right at Progpower since they sell out venues as big as (and probably bigger than) Earthlink Live as it is on their own. But if its a genre-favorite band like Symphony X who's still playing 500 seat clubs then I don't see why not.

I disagree; I much rather see a European band than a US band simply based on the fact that it is impossible to see any of these Euro bands unless you visit Europe. That doesn't mean that I don't think a band like Fates Warning would be a great, deserving headliner, but for the most part, this is a unique, special festival based on the fact that Glenn gets all of these obscure, incredible bands from Europe who truly deserve exposure here in the states.

Petethedrummer said:
I guess Glenn will just have to hold 2 festivals a year...! =P
wooo :headbang:

anyhow.. I was at the Oliva memorial concert - great.. I am hoping that the new singer the have for Savatge shows up at PP5, I'd like to finally hear him sing. Right now it sounds like a re-hash of the Memorial concert - which was great, and I won't complain for seeing it again, but I'm hoping for more. Granted, he did a whole set of solo material & Doctor Butcher for a few songs I doubt that will happen in Atlanta.

For those of you that do not know...have no doubts that Damond Jiniya is an awesome singer and a great fit for Savatage. Things have been pretty hush-mouthed about new Savatage material, but when/if it ever surfaces...it will kick ass!

Kinda wish he'd be around for PPV as well...even if he doesn't hit the stage. He's a nice guy.

ashaman7122 said:
For those of you that do not know...have no doubts that Damond Jiniya is an awesome singer and a great fit for Savatage. Things have been pretty hush-mouthed about new Savatage material, but when/if it ever surfaces...it will kick ass!

Kinda wish he'd be around for PPV as well...even if he doesn't hit the stage. He's a nice guy.
Well let us all hope that the Savatage crew is reading the forums here adn brings the new guy along! What a great place to debut a few new Savatage songs!!! -Thinkaboutitman

not to be the asshole here, but i dont think bands that play the US regularly should play at progpower. i think the newness of bands on the tour rounds out the bill a lot better. not new in the recent sense, new in the never been here before sense.

as for bands only playing on one coast, sorry i cant sympathise there. i have driven from my home in birmingham alabama to shows in seatle, chicago, las vegas and new york. if someone that i love it playing, you cant keep me away.

berkleyblack said:
not to be the asshole here, but i dont think bands that play the US regularly should play at progpower. i think the newness of bands on the tour rounds out the bill a lot better. not new in the recent sense, new in the never been here before sense.

as for bands only playing on one coast, sorry i cant sympathise there. i have driven from my home in birmingham alabama to shows in seatle, chicago, las vegas and new york. if someone that i love it playing, you cant keep me away.
Not looking for sympathy...I travel my ass off quite a few times a year to see shows...but when PP does host "domestic" bands, they still provide them with exposure that MANY areas of the country do not NORMALLY get...

"Can't sympathize"...geez...I guess I've been told...

I just wanted to second ashaman7122's stance on Jinya. I saw him twice on the last Savatage tour, and he can sing the melodies of Zak's tunes and the harsh vocals of the old Jon Oliva stuff. He may not be quite as good as either, but it is not much of a drop off.

Steve