Votes: 18 22.0%
  • 100% Prog

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

SavaVIDude

Savatage Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA, Earth
OK - So I'm bored today!! I did this a couple of years ago, but I have added more choices this time. These are my opinions and you are welcome to add/move bands to the various categories. I just want to see which end of this spectrum most folks prefer their metal. My definitions and examples:

A. 100% Power - Pretty much 1-3 beats with little or no time changes. Not alot of harmonies in the Vox. Little or no keys. LOTS of phat, layered guitars. My Examples: Primal Fear, Trivium, Iced Earth

B. 75% Power, 25% Prog - Same as A, except some keys and maybe vox harmonies. Still guitar-driven. My Examples: Old Savatage, Edguy, Six Minute Century, Manticora, Circle II Circle.

C. 50% Power, 50% Prog - Lots of variation with vox and instrumentals. Lots of contrast and versatility. Can play heavy or very proggy. My examples - Dream Theater, Zak-era Savatage.

D. 25% Power, 75% Prog - Way more finesse with keys and vox effects. Lots of time changes and elaborate song structure. Guitars are not as featured. My Examples: Eternity X, Enchant

E. 0% Power, 100% Prog - You tell me!! :lol: My example (not real sure here): Pain of Salvation

Anyway - have fun with this. No right or wrong answers here - Just curious which end this group leans. My personal preference is B.

Chris :headbang:

Trivium power? That makes no sense.

Iced Earth is power thrash which is basically traditional metal.

Putting Dream Theater at 50-50 power/prog makes no sense either.

But umm.... hmm.. I'd say I at this point well.. B or D or E. When people do any of that really damn well I love it. I don't settle for mediocrity anymore. I like A and C when its done really well too I guess, but B, D, and E are all about equally loved by me.

I voted fifty fifty. I really dig it when bands mix it up and make it interesting but leave parts in there where you can still headbang without the need to count measures :p

examples, DGM, Vision Divine, Symphony X, Evergrey, etc

Can't vote, I like both extremes. 100% power like Helloween, Steel Prophet, Wolf and 100% progressive like The Flower Kings, Camel, Pink Floyd. I dig of course bands in between like Angel Dust or Manigance (both true prog power), but mostly I like one extreme or the other.

Your examples for bands in each category is bizarre, to say the least. Trivium power? DT 50/50?

That being said, I voted on 50/50.

I'm a musical segregationist. I'm more likely to like a band with both feet planted firmly at one end or the other of the spectrum than I am to like a band that mixes the two. I like Manowar, I like Pain of Salvation. I probably wouldn't be into a "Painowar" :)

100% power: Primal Fear, Sabaton, Gamma Ray

100% prog: DGM, Poverty's No Crime, Redemption,

50% prog 50% power: Royal Hunt, Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus

The rest well, that is for the indivdual to decide.

Oh I forgot the one band that has a niche all by themselves, they are POWER/THRASH with PROGRESSIVE Overtures and that band is Future's End

100% power: Primal Fear, Sabaton, Gamma Ray

100% prog: DGM, Poverty's No Crime, Redemption,

50% prog 50% power: Royal Hunt, Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus

The rest well, that is for the indivdual to decide.

Oh I forgot the one band that has a niche all by themselves, they are POWER/THRASH with PROGRESSIVE Overtures and that band is Future's End

Not that it really matters, but...

This is how I see it:

100% Power - Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Machine Men, Sabaton.

100% Prog - Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Andromeda, Fates Warning.

50/50 - Angra, Symphony X, Pagan's Mind, Kamelot.

I voted B because the brunt of my musical tastes probably fall there, but I like stuff from columns A and C as well. It's a rare occasion when I find something I enjoy that is on the more progressive than power end of the scale. I really like Dream Theater, Threshold, and Pink Floyd, but from SavaVIDude's descriptions those bands don't even fall into the most progressive end of the spectrum (which is probably why I'm more drawn to them than other "prog" bands). Most other progressive metal/rock just makes me want to listen to one of those three.

I don't really like straight power or straight prog, so I voted 50-50, although I tend to like more odd, avant garde kind of bands.