Do you also have a white noise?

Andrew_Anakin

Shokran - Exodus soon...
Hey guys! Wanted to ask you! So i have my home studio, I have a vocal booth where i record vocals (So i haven't a reverb there), i use Shure SM7B for the vocal recording, then i have put it to my audiointerface NI Komplete Audio 6. Had some little white noise, which raised when i compressed the audio and put there some other plugins and fx. Then i thouth it would be good to buy a preamp so the good signal will increase and the noise will decrease. But no. The signal increased, and the noise increased too.
I've checked out some high-quality stems and there weren't any noise!
SO have anybody out here had a such problem and what have you done to remove that shit?
P.S.: I've used Presonus Bluetube DP and Behringer Ultragain Pro Mic2200 as preamps.

The SM7b needs a lot of gain which brings up the noise floor. You'll need a better pre-amp or a microphone with a hotter output.
Okay! I thought about it! But i've used two preamps with +60 db of agin, which i think is enough for SM7B (As i've read in the manual), but when i turn the gain to +60 it increases the noise too much!
By the way, what preamp can you recommend me? Not expensive but good enough for SM7B
Thank you!

You need something with a decent amount of CLEAN gain. Behringer stuff is typically very noisy especially when you push it to the top of it's gain range.

Something like a Focusrite ISA One would do the job well, 80dB of gain and it's got a very low noise floor.

Alot of this depends on the vocalist though, when I'm recording vocals with my SM7 I never tend to need more than 40dB of gain. Though I am a bit of a loud bastard and I don't feel the need to record signals stupidly hot in my DAW.

Thank you guys for the answers! I've checked them out, and yes, i was thinking about Focusrite a lot!
But there is only 40db of gain, isn't it?
I agree that it depends on the vocalist, but i need to record both loud and silent vocalists def)

Don't track so hot, the preamps you have will work. Try to just monitor the channel through headphones and slowly turn up the preamp until you begin to hear noise, then back it off. Try recording at that level. As long as you getting close to -18 rms you are good to go. No doubt a solid preamp will be better but it's not necessary to get a clean signal. I prefer to us the great river preamp with a sm7b more often than not.

Have a look at Tritonaudio Fethead that you can use with your existing interface. As you are in Europe it would come cheaper than a Cloudlifter.