Do you do your own edits?

Darth Jester

Oct 5, 2011
Do you change arrangements or cut off an annoying part off from a song... or maybe connect two songs or parts of them to create one great one?...and then listen to your own "improved" version? I'm talking about any band...

You know that feeling when there's something awesome about a track and the rest of it basically sucks...

EXAMPLE: Moonshield has that overlooong acoustic middle section. I threw that away and replaced it with best parts from The Jester's Dance. Now it doesn't bore me anymore...

And I know, I'm going to get a lot of shit for this idea... because "they're not originals" and all that. Well, they're originals for me, good music, only rearranged.

Seconded. That seems like it would be a pretty good combination.

And yeah, I've experimented with stuff like that on my own time as well, even with a few full albums. Mixing portions, cutting out others, kicking up the tempo here and there, etc. The best band to edit down songs for? Opeth's middle-era. Cut out about 2 - 3 minutes of mind-numbing repetition per song, and suddenly they seem almost engaging.

Almost.

Be brave and create your own, there are free "try this for free for XX days" editors around the web, you can mess with everything and change the songs for the better for yourself.

I rarely cut bits out of songs but I will re-EQ albums I dont like the sound of. The majority of In Flames albums from Clayman onwards have audio issue IMO:

Clayman = Too much of a scooped mids sound
R2R = Too muddy + bassy
STYE = Harsh treble
CC = Even more harsh treble
ASOP = Oozes blandness

The EQ of SOAPF and SC are fine IMO so I didnt mess with those.

Another band I re-EQ is Scar Symmetry (and Christian Alvestam's other group Solution .45). Their albums are horribly EQ'd, always too much harsh treble and squashed dynamics. It is amazing how much better the songs sound when they have been remastered (again IMO) I might even do a comparison video at some point.