do you enjoy any of the other bands hosted by UM?

Originally posted by FuSoYa
i think the production ruins it and actually make sit sound insincere.

It's too.. produced.

so shit production = sincerity? I don't see such logics, sir. I will say good day to you. :p

I think anathema's latest.. it's not melodically rigorous, but that may be its strongpoint (though it's its weak point at the same time).

I'm a huge Spastic Ink and Watchtower fan. I either don't like or haven't heard most of the other bands. The one November's Doom song that I heard was awesome though. I think I'll have to pick up their new CD.

so shit production = sincerity? I don't see such logics, sir. I will say good day to you.

no, no, this is absolutely not what i meant. I just think that the production on this particular album doesn't lend itself to the music. i think knowing the most appropriate production style for a music, as far as recording is concerned, is as important as the compositions themselves.

Originally posted by FuSoYa

no, no, this is absolutely not what i meant. I just think that the production on this particular album doesn't lend itself to the music. i think knowing the most appropriate production style for a music, as far as recording is concerned, is as important as the compositions themselves.

but, I'm curious, what does that mean? I think you may have a sense of what's appropriate but then it lacks ground. what's it mean to say a music feels insincere based on the extra-compositional elements of the music?

On the other hand, I imagine some people would say the production is an integral part of the music of that album, in how only a fine production can accurately display the textural nuances there are; and that a baser production would have blunted those nuances.

2 cents

i don't mean the quality of the production - it seems like you think i mean there should be a whole bunch of line hiss or something on the recording.

I think the separation of the instruments is too noticable (i don't feel like i'm listening to a band.. rather i feel like i'm listening to several recorded tracks superimposed on top of one another), and i think the kick and snare drums' pitches are too low. At times, there are parts that seem to be reaching for agression, except the guitar is mixed too high over the drums, or rather the drums are too quiet.. so the result is this sense of reaching for but not attaining that level of high energy.

Originally posted by FuSoYa i don't mean the quality of the production - it seems like you think i mean there should be a whole bunch of line hiss or something on the recording.

I figure you meant this and otherwise. :p

I think the separation of the instruments is too noticable, and i think the kick and snare drums' pitches are too low. At times, there are parts that seem to be reaching for agression, except the guitar is mixed too high over the drums, or rather the drums are too quiet.. so the result is this sense of reaching for but not attaining that level of high energy.

ah, so it's not that it's "over produced", it's that it's produced in the wrong way? I can agree with that. - that's high quality criticism.

hiss.jpg

HISS sucks.