Do you like dark rum?

(__Joonas__)

† Followed the Reaper †
Mar 23, 2005
Finland
As many of you might know, I was a party beast in my 20's. Then one night under lavender skies in the Mediterranean I was swimming, one with the original elements, and suddenly knew I could be sober. I spent nearly seven years totally sober from alcohol and non-smoking. Well, now I'm spiritually mature enough to control the urge to drink.

So I've had a few rums or cognacs once a week. The real stuff, no more fake sugary shit. Dark rum especially makes me feel like I'm sailing on a dark stormy ocean in a wooden ship. It relaxes me. But I'm wise enough to know there are better ways to feel high than over-consuming.

Spring sun, lakeshore, rum, listening to a speech about art...

These real drinks you must treat with respect. Watch their exotic colour thru the sun, feel the sensation of their smell and how it reflects the earth and the history and the land they were created in, then sip in small doses.

What bullshit. You splash some coke in a 'real drink' and then it's sorta drinkable else it's just a waste of money.

I thought it's a waste of money to throw real rum/whiskey/cognac into coke? It's the same amount of alcohol whether you drink it mixed or straight. :D I guess rum is most natural with cola, but they're so distinct, drinking that is a strange experience, it's neither good nor bad. Dunno man, I love sipping rum. Don't have to stuff up yourself with tons of liquid. And no hangover, which is strange indeed.

I'm looking for a dark rum that's dark, tastes strongly like rum, but not "spiced" with sweet stuff. I had one of those during the Pain gig, just don't know what it was.

Then try to taste the Dictador Solera 20 once. Or of Ron Zacapa Centenario XO Solera 25. Probably not what you'd get at a gig, but maybe in the direction what you liked. I found them extraordinary.

Then try to taste the Dictador Solera 20 once. Or of Ron Zacapa Centenario XO Solera 25. Probably not what you'd get at a gig, but maybe in the direction what you liked. I found them extraordinary.

Oh man Ron Zacapa is my favorite rum ever. Definitely not something you'd mix with Coke!

Anyway yeah for rums, I really love Jamaican rum like Appleton or Smith & Cross. Another really nice one is Plantation:
https://www.plantationrum.com

Aside from Jamaican rums, I like El Dorado.

If you are drinking some cheap rum (Captain Morgan or something) and want to mix it with coke, at least put some lime in there and make a Cuba Libre! :D

I think mixing is not in question when it comes to natural fine drinks... unless the sole aim is to get high... I usually have Black Seal, which is mid price range. I like the smell and everything, I drink for relaxing these times, once a week like 4 shots.

Reactions: I_AM_CANADIAN!
Yeah, Zacapa (even the regular one) and Zaya (more affordable) are in a different league altogether.

Yesterday Hypocrisy and Kataclysm, and the opening band Spirit which was fucking awesome, it was like a biblical dark event manifesting, definitely one of the type of bands that sound great live but the atmosphere maybe isn't delivered in its entirety on a record. My throat and neck isn't even horribly sore, which is weird, considering what a blast I had moshing and screaming.

Last edited:
I'm now trying the Ron Zacapa which is the most expensive rum here. It's got very deep aroma, tastes nice like chocolate liquour, the aroma is almost cognac. It's better than the Black Seal (cola like aroma) I usually drink, but twice as expensive.