Do you pick up pennies from the street?

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
I've noticed a, in my opinion, pretty strange mentality in a lot of Swedes where they feel ashamed to pick up small coins if they find them somewhere (our smallest coins, 50 öre and 1 kr, are worth about 6¢ and 12¢ respectively), as if it would make others think "pff that guy must be fucking poor to bother picking up that piece o' crap from the street" or something. Personally I think it's a load of fucking bollocks and if I see any coin on the street I will get it, because free money is free money even if it's worth practically nothing -- it might come in handy and I don't give two flying shits if trend faggots look down on me for it.

So -- if you find practically worthless coins (in whatever your currency is) on the street, do you pick them up?

I don't bother with pennies (1¢) and nickels (5¢). I sometimes pick up dimes (10¢), but always pick up quarters (25¢). :D

Hi Erik. :wave:

Did any of you ever find a really appreciable amount of money left abandoned - on the street or elsewhere?

I keep having dreams about finding entire suitcases of cash and waking up in sweating frustration, even though money is a rather foul concept to me and the prospect of owning a lot of it - that is much beyond primary needs and a little extra for leisure-related expenses - doesn't really stir anything right now... I'm sure there's some subconscious money/life analogy at work there o_O

I found $60 under the bench in McDonald's when I was 8, but my dad took the money from me.

And no, i don't pick up pennies, nickels or dimes, but I do pickup quarters. My wallet always has too much chump change in it, don't need more unless its actually worth something.

When I'm alone, I pick up pennies only when they're shiny (for good luck). If it's more than a penny, I'll definitely pick it up if I have time. Although those I know are against it. They're like "why are you picking up those coins? They have germs, and people will think you're weird!". They make fun of me for it. So I don't do it when they're around.

ALL money has germs, I'd say its probably cleaner on the ground than from the slimy hands of a little kid.

After working at the toy store for so long, and handling so much money, and always getting sick, I never want a money handling job again.

edit: yes I pick up everything I find on the ground, be it pennies or greater.

heads up coin = good luck
tails up coin = bad luck

quarters are the cutoff though, if i see one on the ground with the head spinning and spewing a la the exorcist, that $0.25 is still mine.

I guess it's kinda different here because we don't have any TRULY worthless coins like 1¢ or 0.01£ (which, quite honestly, even I wouldn't pick up) so therefore it's all the more perplexing that plenty of Swedes won't pick up a good ol'
50_ore_1992.jpg
or even
1_krona_2001.jpg
!

I hate loose change in my pockets. Anytime I buy something, I look for the tip jar on the counter just so I can dump the coinage.

If I saw a coin on the street, I'd probably throw another coin at it. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
I hate loose change in my pockets. Anytime I buy something, I look for the tip jar on the counter just so I can dump the coinage.

If I saw a coin on the street, I'd probably throw another coin at it. :loco:
yep, quarters and up. anything else is just annoying.

Erik said:
So -- if you find practically worthless coins (in whatever your currency is) on the street, do you pick them up?
Actually, if I find pennies in my pockets I throw them into the street, and even the occasional stray nickel.

Truth of the matter is, I try to keep my pockets empty so there's more room in my jeans for my giant penis.

Zod

General Zod said:
Actually, if I find pennies in my pockets I throw them into the street, and even the occasional stray nickel.

Truth of the matter is, I try to keep my pockets empty so there's more room in my jeans for my giant penis.

Zod
as soon as unicron wins/steals the election, this is my next signature. :lol: