Does anyone here use the new Logic?

sayocean

Oct 14, 2011
Finland
Hi! I have been using reaper for a good while now. It's great, but in the long run It's kinda limited. Does anyone have any experience from the new Logic pro X? I was thinking of switching to it

I don't know if Apple offers the same discount (they seem to have an issue with that principle for some reason) but Avid sales Pro Tools 10 AND 11 for like $290 and allow you to upgrade for 4 years at only $100 if you're a student. I prefer Pro Tools over Logic without the economical factor period.

Yeah last time I checked Logic was 179$ on the app store. I kinda like everything I read about it but guess I'll have to try and see if it suits my needs. Only thing that bums me is that it uses only 64-bit au-plugins, when some of my older plugins are 32-bit and can't be upgraded

Logic X is only $176? That's dirt cheep. Pro Tools only runs 64 bit aax so they made sure to bundle 10 so that you could still use 32 but rtas. There should be a way around it in logic too, if not you could try rewiring reaper but that can be a pain.

Yeah it's cheap :D I have to find out if there's a way around the 64-bit plugin stuff other than rewiring. Thanks for the input!

I think that Pro Tools is a better choice than Logic if you want to try something new. I used Logic 9 when i had a music production course on university and it was decent but its imo much less user friendly than Reaper. And from what i've seen, a lot more high end producers use Pro Tools than Logic. I guess their is a reason why Pro Tools is more expensive.

I think Nuendo, Logic, and Pro Tools are the only competitiors in the "big productions" department. I wouldn't choose your daw based on big name producers though. Like Gujukal said, it basically comes down to workflow. Daws don't sound particularly different, plugin differences are not crucial, and cross-compatibility isin't really an issue unless you're working in your home and in the studio with multiple team members. Pro Tools 11's killer 64 bit functionality and the workflow related to metering, mix/edit, gui, etc. is really what makes it shine for me. Ive notice reapers functionality seems a little bothersome. I would make an educated decision and make sure you take price in consideration. If you could use the cash in a sweet plugin instead of a fancier gui then it should be clear of where you should to go.

Yeah, I agree. It's all about the workflow and what things you are doing. I'm doing a lot of songwriting alongside with the mixing and mastering so pro tools is kinda clumsy with it (at least for me). But if i had the money, I would own all the major daws :D all of them have their pros and cons

Thought i'd give my 2 cents. I am a Logic user and have been for some time. As far as user- friendly, I don't think It can be beat. It is plain and simple, which is very convenient esp. when trying to sketch ideas out. I love it and would use it over pro tools because of the interface. In the end it is your opinion, I might try and find some homies that have what you are looking for or maybe drop by your local guitar center.

I have been using pro Tools, on my Mac, and with a very old OSX, so I want to upgrade the OSX, and realize that I will no longer be able to use my Pro Tools system.

Pro Tools 11 is not yet available where I live, and considering the price, I think Logic Pro X seems like a much better option for me, but it would be interesting to hear more opinions from people who are using Logic Pro X.

I was an avid pro tools user (haha pun intended!) until I started using Logic more... you just get so much bang for your buck with Logic, whereas Pro Tools is close to useless without third party plugins. Another thing that ticks me off about Pro Tools is that there are NO STOCK FREQUENCY ANALYZERS. Seriously. That is crucial for me when using reference tracks. Almost all of Logic's EQ plugins have analyzers in them.