Does anyone know what Roy Khan is up to?

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
This is not a Kamelot thread. Really - I'm simply curious as to what Roy Khan has been up to for the past few years? Even though his newfound religion made him unfit for one of power metal's elite bands, he has to be alive doing something, right? His voice is too good to go to waste. I could be labelled a fanboy, but I miss the guy.

Devoted to religion. He is out of the industry completely at present.

i5u23b.jpg

It's Norway, one of the richest countries in the world. You could probably live very comfortably there not doing much at all.
I do hope he gets the urge to do something musical in the future. Hopefully, with the equally missed Tore Ostby.

Devoted to religion. He is out of the industry completely at present.

That doesn't mean all is lost, though. Someone just needs to get him to leave whatever religious group he's associated with in Norway and join IHOPKC in Kansas City instead! Literally half my music listening over the last month has been to their live-stream. Buncha crazy Jesus-freaks who think that if they keep playing music 24/7/365, He will return to Earth to rock out with them.

The pleasant side effect of their delusion, uh, I mean, "of such religious-inspired dedication to music" is that they make some pretty awesome, epic, improvised music, like this (jump to 1:07:00 for the start of the towering 30-minute dark prog post-rock number). That particular set doesn't have much of the amazing improvised multi-part vocal harmonies that they often do, but it would sure be awesome to tune in one day and hear Khan as one of the guys sitting in and adding his talents.

It sorta makes sense that they're really good, because they're constantly honing their craft through live performance. I can't think of any situation anywhere in the world that would be better for musicians who love to jam but are sick of all their lazy-ass dope-smoking bros never having their shit together. I've honestly started to think that some of the musicians who take part might not even care about Jesus, they're just in it purely for the ability to play with other talented musicians in regularly-scheduled 2-hour blocks, while having their living expenses taken care of and not having to live the shitty touring life (essentially the rest of the congregation pays them for keeping the music going all day and all night). It's all the creativity (and probably more) of a regular gig, but with way more stability!

(and pure coincidence that they're right near you Palabra, so you might really want to see if they can recruit Khan...you'd be able to drop in for free in person any time he's scheduled to do a set!)

I'm guessing he's not gone for good. Remember when Matt Barlow said he was quitting the industry for good? Maybe the bug will bite Khan again and he'll come back for a reunion, who knows? In the meantime, not using his golden voice is a sin...

He is using his voice - in the way he has chosen to use it... As much as it PAINS me to not hear him sing anymore, his path changed. I cannot even imagine what he must have gone thru mentally to make the choice he did. And it took me a bit as a fan to get over it and accept it...

If he never sings for us again, at least we got his voice for a season... I am thankful for that