Does anyone listen to these bands/everyone should listen to these bands.

Dee Snarl said:
But... me not have... avatar...?

Anyway, thanks! :D

I was referring to BurningWitch's John Lennon avatar :cool: Welcome to you , too - although I think I already said that in your n00b thread ... :loco:

Nice taste, brotha. May I reccomend:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
On Fire
A Northern Chorus
Oingo Boingo
Glass Hammer
PJ Harvey
The Police (If you don't know them)
Fugazi (again, if you don't already listen to them)

Yeh I dont mind some Nick Cave stuff - 'Let Love in' is a good album,
Brian Eno is also alright - 'Taking Tiger Moutain my strategy' isnt a bad CD

Dee Snarl said:
Ween - Only have 12 Golden Country Classics or whatever, which is great, but I want their other stuff, too

Proceed to your closest record store, pick up The Mollusk, thank me later. :)

Black Core said:
Nick Cave does have a few good songs, but it's not something I want to listen all day to

ur dumb. listen to Nick Cave more.

also:

Einsturzende Neubauten
&
The Dirty Three, my two favorite bands featuring Bad Seeds members.

and:

Explosions In The Sky
Do Make Say Think
Elliot Smith
Jeff Buckley
Nick Drake
Royksopp
Public Image Limited
Sol Invictus
The Pogues
Tom Waits
A Silver Mt. Zion
The Notwist
Autechre
Will Oldham
The Beta Band
Van Morrison

Haha, I agree. I just hope I can hear something out of his mouth other than "if i can fall frubble geee grace ofgoooble....."

OfManAndMetal said:
damn i never heard of any of those bands... can anyone tell me which one is the best?

Really? Okay.

The Velvet Underground.

Their debut, The Velvet Underground & Nico, is the godhead of all punk/alternative rock. It came out in 1967, and was produced by Andy Warhol.

Absolutely essential for the armchair rock historian....

Dee Snarl said:
Really? Okay.

The Velvet Underground.

Their debut, The Velvet Underground & Nico, is the godhead of all punk/alternative rock. It came out in 1967, and was produced by Andy Warhol.

Absolutely essential for the armchair rock historian....

quoted for truth....

next check out Iggy & The Stooges, very influential as far as the original punk movement goes (american and british alike movement alike). David Bowie's early material is amazing as well, being somewhat in the same vein as The Stooges and VU. The original glam scene in general (this means T. Rex, New York Dolls, Bowie, etc. NOT Poison or Cinderella or that lame bullshit) is a cesspool of creativity and rock-your-ass-ness.

Then check out Joy Division, a foundational "goth" band. Another extremely historical and influential bands and among many peoples favorite bands ever, with good reason.

honestly, i would just say do some research on glam rock, protopunk, postpunk, early goth music (siouxsie, early the cure, sisters of mercy), and the new york "CBGB scene" (devo, talking heads, patti smith, blondie, television, the ramones).

I can't understand how people can only listen to "just metal" or "just hardcore/punk" or only extreme music in general, and what also baffles me is that so many of those types think all there is besides metal is corporate rock like fall out boy or the all american rejects. There's so much good non-metal music out there, it's unbelievable, but you just have to look a little bit (which is nothing compared to tracking down obscure underground metal albums and info). Okay, I'm ending the post here. Ready? Okay, post over!

Perdition's Light said:
Brian Eno
Bjork
Sigur Ros
Iggy & The Stooges
Velvet Underground

I've heard those, although to be fair I've only heard Brian Eno's ambient work and Velvet Underground's first album. And the Sigur Ros I heard was shit upon last hearing. I have it queued up for another listen, though.